Nissan Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
The head gaskets on QR25's and VQ35's are both pretty sturdy, but a lot depends on how bad it overheated and whether you kept driving it with the engine hot. If you shut it right down and let it cool off before moving it further, chances are it's fine. If you kept driving it for more than a few minutes or miles, you may well have hurt something.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The head gaskets on QR25's and VQ35's are both pretty sturdy, but a lot depends on how bad it overheated and whether you kept driving it with the engine hot. If you shut it right down and let it cool off before moving it further, chances are it's fine. If you kept driving it for more than a few minutes or miles, you may well have hurt something.
granddaughter was driving it. i was told about this a couple days later. she drove it until it died. let it cool. then started t back up drove it till it died again. my son went to the car and found a small cut in top radiator hose which some tried the heat tape on. he cut the damaged hose off since it was next to radiator and put hose back on radiator. then filled with antifreeze. i had him do burp on the next. it seems to be doing ok.just wondering how long before there might be a issue.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
You could get lucky. I've seen QR25's survive some incredibly rude treatment, including one that hydrolocked at speed from being driven into a pond. The VQ's are almost as durable. For now you should probably change the oil preemptively, and get the CVT-A and CVT-B values read to see how hot the trans got. If it cooked bad (both values non-0), change that too. Lastly, if it's a QR, expect a bad water pump seal sometime in the future, they don't like being run hot and dry.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.