Nissan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1990 coupe, but when I hit the brakes the pedal travels to the floor, if I pump it a few times I get some brake. It has not lost any fluid so I`m thinking the booster, any other ideas

·
Registered
385 Posts
Cyber240 said:
I have a 1990 coupe, but when I hit the brakes the pedal travels to the floor, if I pump it a few times I get some brake. It has not lost any fluid so I`m thinking the booster, any other ideas

i just recently had this same problem, have you done any work to it recently?
my suggestion is fully inspect the calipers and brake lines for any leaks(thats where my problem was) if everything looks fine then take off your master cylinder and bench bleed the master cylinder place it back on the booster with the master cylinder lines plugged (do not hook up your brake lines yet) then pump the brake pedal a few times and see if it firms up if it does then your master cylinder is good but if its still mushy then you found your problem.
this doesnt sound like your brake booster because i believe if a brake booster goes out the brake pedal gets really hard and feels like pressing on a wall.

***Very important to bleed out your brake lines very good***

·
I should be azRS13...
1,021 Posts
I think you need to bleed the brakes... sounds like you got air in there...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
se_nismo said:
i just recently had this same problem, have you done any work to it recently?
my suggestion is fully inspect the calipers and brake lines for any leaks(thats where my problem was) if everything looks fine then take off your master cylinder and bench bleed the master cylinder place it back on the booster with the master cylinder lines plugged (do not hook up your brake lines yet) then pump the brake pedal a few times and see if it firms up if it does then your master cylinder is good but if its still mushy then you found your problem.
this doesnt sound like your brake booster because i believe if a brake booster goes out the brake pedal gets really hard and feels like pressing on a wall.

***Very important to bleed out your brake lines very good***[/QUOTE
Thanks for the reply, I have not done any work to the brakes lately.When I got the car a month ago I checked out the brakes and all appeared fine, Would I not be losing fluid if the line had a hole? the master cylinder is still at the same level as when I topped it up a couple of weeks ago.I know it does mot make much sense.Thanx again

·
Registered
385 Posts
if everything looks fine then you should take off the master cylinder and bench bleed the master cylinder plug up the brake lines on the master cylinder and place it back on the car with out hooking up the brake lines on the car and press the pedal and see if the pedal firms up so that way you know if your master cylinder is working fine or not...

azRPS13 i dont think bleeding the brakes will fix the problem because he never worked on the car to put air in the lines...i think he has to first find the problem before bleeding the lines and wasting brake fluid, once the problem is found bleeding the lines out correctly is very important

·
Registered
385 Posts
Bskater00 said:
i had the same problem. it turned out to be my calipers were seized up and i needed new brake pads and rotors. so that could possibly be causing it

thats where my problem was one brake caliper, also check your brake lines for any nipples

·
Registered
146 Posts
if the brakes started to gradually get like that, it is either a leak or the master....
sometimes in rare cases a hose will go bad, causing the caliper to stick, and the pedal to not return

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Back To The Brake Problem

Hey everyone thanks for the responses and answers, but the brake problem is weird. I let the car sit for a week then I went back to it and the brakes were actually pretty good after I pumped them a couple of times, but they still feel weak, NO FLUID was lost and any point of this problem and I checked the lines for breaks or crimps all look ok. Since there is no leaks and all the calipers seem to be fine along with the brake pads, i`m guessing the master cylinder what does anyone think?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Cyber240 said:
Hey everyone thanks for the responses and answers, but the brake problem is weird. I let the car sit for a week then I went back to it and the brakes were actually pretty good after I pumped them a couple of times, but they still feel weak, NO FLUID was lost and any point of this problem and I checked the lines for breaks or crimps all look ok. Since there is no leaks and all the calipers seem to be fine along with the brake pads, i`m guessing the master cylinder what does anyone think?
definatly sounds like your master cylinder has an internal leak (meaning the seals inside it are bad and the fluid just leaks back into the resivoir and not out of the system) if your gonna replace it yourself make sure you bench bleed it before you install it on the car or it will take FOREVER to get all the air out of the brake system good luck !!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.