Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Sentra 1.8L. When I turn the air conditioner on I hear a hissing sound, like a vacuum leak, and the system will not blow cold air. It will only blow ambient temperature air. I have tried adding refrigerant, but the system barely takes it in. The air will get cooler, but not cold like it used to be. So, my question is, do I have a controls problem or a system problem? Vacuum leak not telling the system to function properly, or something else wrong with the mechanical system? Thanks!

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,215 Posts
The hissing sound might be from a blown A/C hose, a hole in the condenser or compressor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can hear the hissing inside the car, but not outside. Does this help? I did not think there were any A/C lines in the cab.

·
Nissan Technician
826 Posts
You probably hear the hissing or vacuum coming from the vents right?

Your a/c system is low and needs to be serviced correctly and NOT just by adding a can of freon either...good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, take it to an A/C shop and tell them to find out what's wrong? Is there any more troubleshooting or repair I can do myself?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The compressor does not run when I turn the A/C on. This could be caused by low refrigerant, correct? If the refrigerant is low, then there must be a leak. If there is a leak, then it can be found with dye. If I can find it with dye, then I can cut down on the labor cost of troubleshooting to find the leak. I will try this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts