Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it that I see so many people using Nitrous Oxide on enginers that are not built for it. Its just not safe its way to combustible and can burn up your engine very fast, unless the engine is reinforced.

·
Registered
500 Posts
When done right and done safely, n2o won't do any immediate harm to your engine. But as with any machine (modding engines, overclocking CPUs on computers) making it work beyond its normal capabilities will cause its ultimate lifespan to shorten somewhat depending on how hard you push it. Last I checked our engines can handle a 50-55 shot no problem. Besides, I don't remember ever hearing about an engine that was actually built for n2o anyway.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I realize that our engines werent made stock for Nitrous I ment that people use Nitrous before preparing your engine. Boring and Chroming out an engine is perfect for Nitrous...otherwise it causes damage in the long run.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I think the diagnosis for that problem is Generalus Motorus, Latin for Lame Ass Domestic GM Product. :eek:

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What are you on? What does "boring and chroming" do to "build" an engine to make it "perfect for nitrous"?!!!

That does nothing for increasing the strength of an engine.
Someone's not feeding you correct information.

speed_ricer said:
Yeah I realize that our engines werent made stock for Nitrous I ment that people use Nitrous before preparing your engine. Boring and Chroming out an engine is perfect for Nitrous...otherwise it causes damage in the long run.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, like mentioned above, no car is designed to take nitrious....not ever muscle cars, no car is....period..........second of all, there are times when its good to use nitrious and times when its not, for example, on an automatic, using nitrious in third gear is safe,on our cars at least, because third gear can handle maximum speed. on a standard if u use the NOS at the wrong time, u can cause damage, and as far as boring out an engine,,,,that does nothing....since nitrious only allows engine to take in more fuel, u might want a better fuel delivering system, and thats it, no boring anything out.....

·
Registered
500 Posts
All boring does is increase displacement. All chroming does is add bling bling to your engine compartment.

One of the only engines that were ever designed with nitrous in mind were old WWII fighter plane magneto engines. That's one of the earliest applications of nitrous in a production engine.

Did you know those planes had rubber-lined gas tanks? It helped it reseal itself when bullets pierced the shell. :eek: What does that have to do with nitrous? Absolutely nothing.

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
boring, increases displacement, very good for NORMALLY ASPIRATED engines, no chemical supercharging whatsoever.....
although, forcing IT would require lesser compression, but nos is just very cold air.......well, whatever makes ya'll happy........
chroming, or honing, isn't that also boring.......

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
useful?

Are blanket statement threads useful to the community at all? I realize this is a public forum, people are free to post (almost) anythign they want. But what good does it do to start a thread with a blanket statement that has no value to the community.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'm not sure and we've all be guilty of this whether we intended to or not, but judging by the number of post he has I'd say he just wanted to "hear himself talk" or rather see as the case may be. Either way I've never known chroming to be anything other then what the word implies, which wouldn't make much sense for strengthing an engine.

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
well

I was referring to the start of this thread. Making a "blanket statement" that has no real world use.

"Why is it that I see so many people using Nitrous Oxide on enginers that are not built for it. Its just not safe its way to combustible and can burn up your engine very fast, unless the engine is reinforced."

WHat does this thread accomplish? Says that basically if you don;t have an engine built for nitrous then you should not use it because it will either cause damage or blow your motor.

Fact of the matter is, that would mean that EVERY motor would have to be rebuilt specifically for nitrous for anyone to be able to use it safely. That isa crock. There are MANY poeple thta have sprayed their cars successfully for YEARS, without touching the motor internals. Nitrous itself is not the cause of the failure, it is a lack of tuning.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Actually you have to look at it from another perspective. The purpose of this forum is not just to ask specific questions and get specific answers, but also the nature of a forum in itself implies that it is simply a discussion platform. While his information at the beginning of the thread was completely innaccurate it was Nissan related and directed at the GA16 engine (in the accusation that it can't handle Juice), so it's in the right place.

Since you're wondering what this thread accomplished, we found out that:

1) Nitrous is safe when done correctly
2) Boring and Chroming does not increase bottom-end strength
3) Nitrous is chemically the same as very cold air
4) Be careful when squeezing N2O into GM engines
5) Blanket statements can serve a purpose if you pull your head out of your block and open your eyes. (laugh, that was a joke)

Class dismissed.

·
Registered
500 Posts
It's like how one man's trash is another man's treasure. You may not have gotten anything out of it but I'm sure some guy around here read this thread and learned at least a little something from it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
wes....you are the tightest!!!! and you are soo rite....i have a buddy with a 1.6 and hes been using his kit for 2 years with no problems because he does basic maintenance!!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
underdog,
theoretically speaking if you got air EXTREMLY cold it would act the same but would not work correctly; the engine can only take cold air to a certain degree and you'd need need alot lower temp then shed take. And nitrous and cold air do not have the same chemical formula; nitrous is N2O, while air is a mixture of different elements and compounds. naturally, there is very little N2O in the atmosphere (about 0.000003). So although what you said is theoretically true, you could not actually do it in real life.

Silas

1 - 20 of 35 Posts