Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,so yesterday my x trail after work didnt start, its cranking but apperantly it doesnt have enough power or something to start,a day ago the cars dashboard lighted up like a christmas tree,abs,esp off etc, lighted up,after a couple hours of driving the car ,while driving the car it would shut off like mid drive or at a stop sign,i would turn it on without any problems and it would go as usually, after the first shutofff passed maybe 30 mins and at a stop sign the car rpm would drop to less then 1k and the car started to vibrate until i would shut it off,afyer that it ran fine,. I should also mention the car is not automatic but a manual,and the last time i drived it near my work it would shut off again and then i turned it on again, and then i parked it and left it for a few hours,amd after that it just cranks and wont start,on display it shows the battery sign.Me and a stranger tried to jumpstart it with cables from his battery and it didnt work,he mentioned that the reason its no starting might be because of the battery because it looks old the bolts and connectors that hold it have corrosion and rust on them, another friend of mine said that the spark plugs might need some cleaning or changing and a another mechanic said that the spark plugs aint at fault because a dead spark plug cant cause the car to vibrate,any theories on what could be at fault? And also since i got this car a week ago used on a loan what type of size sparkplugs the car uses? And what type of wrench size do the plugs need to change them? Thank you in advance and i apologize for my possibly bad english

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,639 Posts
One of the first things to do is perform an ECU code readout with a portable scan tool to see if any fault codes are set. The tool can be purchased at most auto parts stores. Post the actual codes here on the forum so that we may be able to help you further. If there is one or more fault codes set, they can help point to the malfunction. If you have a copy of the FSM for your vehicle, the code readout procedure is described there along with a listing of codes. You can download a copy of the FSM from this web site: Owner's Manuals. The section EC.PDF is the one you need to read.

A common problem that occurs with the symptoms that you're describing is a bad camshaft position sensor or a bad crankshaft position sensor. You can buy those at a Nissan dealer; it's best to replace both of them together. Don't buy aftermarket component as they may cause driveability problems, will not last long and may be DOA. Your engine uses an NGK PLFR5A-11 spark plug.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, (Noob here).
I have just purchased an X-Trail (06) 2.5l petrol with LPG conversion, as a none runner.(crank but no start issue)
After reading these forums and a lot of tinkering I yesterday got it running, after disconnecting the cam pos sensor and doing a computer hard reboot it fired up and ran like a train.
Today as a rest I plugged the cam sensor back in and the crank no start happened again. I have ordered a replacement cam sensor.
The prev owner had indicated he had had a new sensor, coil packs and spark plugs fitted but could not get it to run, I hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts