Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a unique problem with my Nissan Sentra 1.6 litre engine.

My wife overfilled the oil one quart too much and then it wouldn't start. I drained the oil down to the proper level and then I changed out the plugs, rotor, distributer cap, fuel filter and it still wouldn't start. I checked fire to all four plugs and they do have fire and I also pulled off the hose to the fuel filter and the fuel pressure seems to be OK. It came out in a steady stream. I would think that it might be in the injector system but that is a complete guess. Is there anything I can check? I don't have a diagnostic computer, is it time to get one? Thanks for any responses as I may just have to go to the mechanic on this on but I have some time on it so I'm willing to try. The car has 194,000 miles on it and it is a 1999. Between myself and my son's I have four Nissan vehicles so maybe it would be worth it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
my uncle told me today that one time he overfilled his oil and it got into the air filter. might want to check it out

·
absolutely classic
455 Posts
Is it turning over, or no? It might be coincedence, but your starter may be done. I'm not sure overfilling by a quart is all that bad, and you checked the things it would have affected.

·
absolutely classic
455 Posts
gatorgar55 said:
To Clarify, It cranks but it acts like it's not getting gas or fire. It has plenty of battery power.
This is strange, and I believe beyond my experience. You said earlier it was getting spark and gas. The only thing I can think of to try is to squirt oil into the cylinders through the spark plug holes. Maybe the gas from trying to start it has thinned out your oil. You mentioned something about the injectors. Do you use injector cleaner? Check them out, specifically the o-rings. I would replace the o-rings anyway, can't hurt.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found out after all and had to replace the distributor. Because of an oil leak a sensor on the distributor was not sending the proper signals to the computor and was flooding out the car. My car runs great now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts