Nissan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this has been asked A LOT in forums......... But I want a S15 SOOOO bad its my dream car and i would like to import it legally. I have been doing research for 2 years now and haven't found answer to my questions.

1. Would I be able to purchase one in Canada, Take it a part and rebuild it in the US, Then register it as a Kit Car? This would obviously cost more money but would it be legal?

or

2. Can i Purchase it in Canada, Drive to the US and register it with the Canadian Vin. (I live in Maryland BTW). This Seems TOOOO easy, like something every one can do and I don't know if this is legal as well.

I've read ALL customs documentation on car importation and the NTSB as well. But I've come to realize there is always a loophole, I just need help figuring it out :nerd:

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
9,440 Posts
As far as the "kit car" option...no. The big issue is the vehicle complying with US emission and safety rules and regulations. I believe you can import one with a lot of headache and expense if it is for track use only; you will not be able to drive it on the street legally. At this point, the most practical option for those who want an S15 is to get an S14 and install an S15 conversion kit. Then, get a S15 front clip and swap the engine and as much as you can to the 240SX. Keep in mind your state's emission testing before you invest the time and money for a swap. I know it's not the same, but it's about as close as you are going to get in the US right now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts