Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know if a ga16i can withstand boost pressure i have done little mods like port and polish head and aftermarket intake and it has 80thousand miles on rebuilt motor i have a t3 series turbo off a saab and i plan on making it into a supercharger i dont know how many pounds of boost i will run it depends on the pulleys i choose thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
you have a T3 and plan on making it into a Supercharger? Ummm...ok. Well, to answer your question... I sure wouldn't take that engine over 6lbs of boost... better safe than sorry homie. If you want speed then save up for the CA18DET or SR20 swap...or buy a completely different car. lol

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
you have a T3 and plan on making it into a Supercharger? Ummm...ok. Well, to answer your question... I sure wouldn't take that engine over 6lbs of boost... better safe than sorry homie. If you want speed then save up for the CA18DET or SR20 swap...or buy a completely different car. lol
sorry to bust your party, but the GA16i is tough as nails. the reason it DOESN't get boosted is because it's single point throttle body injection. the fuel delivery sucks the big one.

GA16DE's have been boosted to 10+ psi, and considering the components in the 16i's valvetrain are bigger, it's safer. if you want to drop the compression, use e16i conrods.

your biggest issue is fuel delivery. with only one injector delivering fuel, that makes for a pretty limiting system. hasn't been documented yet, but it would probably be possible to take a 1st gen GA16DE intake manifold and throttle body and put that on a GA16i. then run a first gen ECU (OBD1) and hook up the TPS, and MAF, along with any other sensors that need to be hooked up to keep the DE ECU happy. you might run a CEL for a cam positioning sensor, as you only have one cam, not two.

the other thing that could be done, computer wise, is i'm trying to track down GA15E ecu's. the GA15E was a 1.5L EFI version of the GA16i. same block and everything. by nissan engine codes, the above idea would be turning your ga16i into a GA16E. the ga16 and 15 are practically identical, aside from the displacement and fuel delivery.

an ultimate budget boost ready system for a GA16i would be:

e16i or e15et con rods (e15's for a track beast)
nismo eurocam
1st gen GA16DE intake manifold and TB
GA15E ecu and harness.

end result is a beastly GA16E that is ready to accept boost via a standalone EMS and a GA16DE turbo kit. this still isn't cheap, but this is without spending extra thousands on super costly conversions.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sr20 engine swap

Yeah im short on money but i was thinking of doing an sr20 motor swap instead of boosting the ga16i im kind of stuck with the car so i cant put much money into it but i could get a sr20 pretty easy so if you guys know of a kit or anything that would help me allot or cheap rebuild kits for the sr20 that would be cool.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts