Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've Nissan Sentra 2014 1.6 cvt 170k kms [105k miles] driven. I've had an issue with cvt while accelerating from full stop, a jerking at around 20kmph which feels like clutch is disengaged for a second and then suddenly reengaged . When I took it to nissan they advised cvt fluid flush &change and luckily the issue was resolved. Now the issue I'm facing is with a slightly increased rpm. Originally at 120kmph the rpm was 2k but now it goes up to 3k to 3.5k at the same speed. Before the cruise was silent at 120kmph now there is noticeable engine noise inside the cabin. The car was always serviced with nissan but now they are recommending cvt replacement. Any advise will be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I've Nissan Sentra 2014 1.6 cvt 170k kms [105k miles] driven. I've had an issue with cvt while accelerating from full stop, a jerking at around 20kmph which feels like clutch is disengaged for a second and then suddenly reengaged . When I took it to nissan they advised cvt fluid flush &change and luckily the issue was resolved. Now the issue I'm facing is with a slightly increased rpm. Originally at 120kmph the rpm was 2k but now it goes up to 3k to 3.5k at the same speed. Before the cruise was silent at 120kmph now there is noticeable engine noise inside the cabin. The car was always serviced with nissan but now they are recommending cvt replacement. Any advise will be highly appreciated.
If it went 100K+ on the original fluid then the dealer is probably right, your tranny is shot. The CVT on the '14 Sentra is a dual-range type with a planetary gear set for low and high range, it sounds like yours is stuck in low causing the elevated RPM.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it went 100K+ on the original fluid then the dealer is probably right, your tranny is shot. The CVT on the '14 Sentra is a dual-range type with a planetary gear set for low and high range, it sounds like yours is stuck in low causing the elevated RPM.
Thanks for the reply. But I can feel the planetary gear shift at around 30mph. Also all the transmission fluid was changed earlier @60k miles.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Ah, that's different. Then the extra RPM may be from a "limp" condition that's limiting performance. Do you happen to have a copy of the code sheet? Hard to tell exactly what's going on without a complete readout.

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
10,473 Posts
Sounds like the steel belt is slipping on the pulley subset, if you ask me. This usually starts with an issue of the TCM/valve body. The usual fix is to replace the CVT.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Sounds like the steel belt is slipping on the pulley subset, if you ask me. This usually starts with an issue of the TCM/valve body. The usual fix is to replace the CVT.
It'll have a P1F70 in the TCM if the belt is running away, a '14 should have judder diagnostics. OP never got back to us with codes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah, that's different. Then the extra RPM may be from a "limp" condition that's limiting performance. Do you happen to have a copy of the code sheet? Hard to tell exactly what's going on without a complete readout.
Hi. Took it to a garage to read the codes but all clean. The mechanic suggests this could be mechanical. He checked all the fluids and topped up. suggest to drive until the CVT gives up and then replace. However after fluid topup situation improved a little. Now at 120kmph rpm stays at 3k. No loud roar of engine. Not going beyond 3k like earlier. Originally it was at 2k though.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Hi. Took it to a garage to read the codes but all clean. The mechanic suggests this could be mechanical. He checked all the fluids and topped up. suggest to drive until the CVT gives up and then replace. However after fluid topup situation improved a little. Now at 120kmph rpm stays at 3k. No loud roar of engine. Not going beyond 3k like earlier. Originally it was at 2k though.
The only thing "mechanical" that could cause that is belt-slip, as Smj said. We can't get documentation on overseas models here in the 'States, so I suppose it's possible your TCM doesn't have diagnostics. If it's slipping that badly the fluid won't help for long.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a 2014 Rouge, US build, all wheel drive. It has 270k KMs on it. After driving for 30 minutes, it jerks when you take off. I do not know if it has been flushed or not, but the scan code says it shudders. What do you guys think I should do? I called nissan, they said it is the CVT and needs a replace. Should I do a service to see if that goes away or is it a waste of money? I have found a tranny for 1K CAD and abut $700 labor from a mechanic friend to swab it. Thanks for any suggestions or comments.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a 2014 Rouge, US build, all wheel drive. It has 270k KMs on it. After driving for 30 minutes, it jerks when you take off. I do not know if it has been flushed or not, but the scan code says it shudders. What do you guys think I should do? I called nissan, they said it is the CVT and needs a replace. Should I do a service to see if that goes away or is it a waste of money? I have found a tranny for 1K CAD and abut $700 labor from a mechanic friend to swab it. Thanks for any suggestions or comments.
A friend said it's the tranny belt that starches when it gets hot. A mechanic said it could be the valve body. So everyone says a different thing. They do not rebuild them here which is sad! They mostly replace. Where I come from originally, we repair them cheap in Iraq as labor is super cheap.

I wonder if a flush would help or not?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
If the code is a P1F71 then very often a fluid swap will help. If it's a P1F70 then probably not, that usually means belt damage. The belts don't "stretch" by the way, what happens is they start "skidding" on the pulleys. The pulleys are much harder material than the belt, so the belt starts to wear and ridge.

There's nothing wrong with a used tranny, but get the TCM from the same donor car along with it. You'll save yourself a whole lot of reprogramming and re-learning.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If the code is a P1F71 then very often a fluid swap will help. If it's a P1F70 then probably not, that usually means belt damage. The belts don't "stretch" by the way, what happens is they start "skidding" on the pulleys. The pulleys are much harder material than the belt, so the belt starts to wear and ridge.

There's nothing wrong with a used tranny, but get the TCM from the same donor car along with it. You'll save yourself a whole lot of reprogramming and re-learning.
Thank you so much for your comment, I will do that and see how it goes! I wonder why is it better when I give a little more gas? It even dose not shudder sometimes with extra gas ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update
I've found the app CVTZ50 from playstore which is cvt specific app and bought OBD2 adapter Vgate icar pro to read the CVT statistics. To my surprise, I've found that the CVT fluid deterioration date wasn't reset by the Authorized service center and it was @ 160000. Since I've driven only 7k Kms after the CVT fluid flush/ swap this number was too high for relatively new fluid. Therefore I've decided a bit of adventure and reset the CVT fluid deterioration date using the app. And Hey guys, the rpm back to normal. Test driven for 5km @ 120k. And rpm was steady @ 2k. Will drive for another week and will keep you updated.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Update
I've found the app CVTZ50 from playstore which is cvt specific app and bought OBD2 adapter Vgate icar pro to read the CVT statistics. To my surprise, I've found that the CVT fluid deterioration date wasn't reset by the Authorized service center and it was @ 160000. Since I've driven only 7k Kms after the CVT fluid flush/ swap this number was too high for relatively new fluid. Therefore I've decided a bit of adventure and reset the CVT fluid deterioration date using the app. And Hey guys, the rpm back to normal. Test driven for 5km @ 120k. And rpm was steady @ 2k. Will drive for another week and will keep you updated.
how can I rest mine too? Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
how can I rest mine too? Thanks
Hi, you should reset the deterioration date only after CVT fluid change. Assuming that you have Elm327 OBD2 interface based on PIC18F25K80 chip ,and CVTZ50 app installed on your phone, follow the below instructions to reset the deterioration date.

Reading and resetting CVT Fluid Deterioration counter
Press Read/Clear CVTF Deterioration button to read deterioration data.
Nissan recommends to change CVT fluid if deterioration exceeded 210000 points. Note that on majority of the vehicles the deterioration counter takes into account CVT operation only in high temperature conditions (the counter increases only when CVT temperature is above 90°C). There might be other reasons to replace CVT fluid – they shall be considered even if deterioration counter is significantly below the threshold.
After replacing CVT fluid, CVTF Deterioration data should be cleared. To perform deterioration data erasing, hold Read/Clear CVTF Deterioration button and confirm the operation by selecting YES in confirmation dialog.

copied from CVTz50 - CVT diagnostics with ELM327

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 Rouge, US build, all wheel drive. It has 270k KMs on it. After driving for 30 minutes, it jerks when you take off. I do not know if it has been flushed or not, but the scan code says it shudders. What do you guys think I should do? I called nissan, they said it is the CVT and needs a replace. Should I do a service to see if that goes away or is it a waste of money? I have found a tranny for 1K CAD and abut $700 labor from a mechanic friend to swab it. Thanks for any suggestions or comments.

·
Registered
56 Posts
That’s exactly what I am dealing with. The flush may help but I still have the jerks.
The hotter the day is, the worse mine gets.

I sometimes suspect fuel pump, crankshaft /camshaft sensors, vacuum leaking: but I have no codes.

it has the judder code p17f2
Went away with a drain and refill

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
P17F2 points to mechanical issue. See attached flow chart which suggests to replace the CVT. I would recommend to drive till it dies ,then repair or replace. Fresh fluid may improve the situation a bit but recommended to be done by experienced professionals.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
That’s exactly what I am dealing with. The flush may help but I still have the jerks.

I sometimes suspect fuel pump, crankshaft /camshaft sensors, vacuum leaking: but I have no codes.

it has the judder code
P17F2 points to mechanical issue. See attached flow chart which suggests to replace the CVT. I would recommend to drive till it dies ,then repair or replace. Fresh fluid may improve the situation a bit but recommended to be done by experienced professionals.
is that for rouge too?
I think I’ve seen the chart and it doesn’t indicate rouge

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

it has the judder code

is that for rouge too?
I think I’ve seen the chart and it doesn’t indicate rouge
The screen shot was from a nissan sentra recall document . But the error codes applicable to all Jatco CVT used in nissan.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts