Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So like
does anyone have, or know where I can get the manual transmission for this thing?
I think its the RS5F50A

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Transaxles offered were the 4- and 5-speed manuals (RN4F31A and RS5F31A, respectively). A junk yard is your best source.
What exactly do those come in, because there isn’t an reference to any transmission for this car anywhere, nor are there any specific Pulsars in any junkyard in the state of Florida as far as I’ve searched, mostly likely crushed long ago.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,746 Posts
What exactly do those come in, because there isn’t an reference to any transmission for this car anywhere, nor are there any specific Pulsars in any junkyard in the state of Florida as far as I’ve searched, mostly likely crushed long ago.
Refer to this post:

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
9,757 Posts
What engine do you have? If you have the 1.8L, you would have the RS5F50A transmission. If you have the 1.6L, you would have the RS5F31A transmission. The 1.8L was a CA-series engine, that was typically found in Stanzas in the US. The RS5F31A transmission was found on both E-series engines and GA-series engines, mostly found in older Sentras and Pulsar NX. If you haven't already priced it out, you may want to get a price on a rebuild from a transmission shop, as they weren't too hard to rebuild. For used, try Car-part.com.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ve got the 4 speed auto and would like to swap in the compatible manual transmission for the CA18DE that would come with the car, I figured it was the RS5F50 variant
I need to know where to get one, as well as the clutch and shifter assemblies
Are there any other Nissans I can find that tranny in, or models that have compatible shifter/clutch assemblies

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
9,757 Posts
Your best bet would be to find a donor car in a salvage yard and get all of the pieces (transmission, pedals, shifter and linkage, axles, the entire hydraulic clutch system, the harness connector ends (don't forget you'll have to do some wiring for the reverse switch), etc. Even if you plan to replace some of those parts with new, at least you'll have something to compare it to. I would also double-check to make sure the hubs are the same (better safe than sorry). You can go to a site like NissanPartsDeal.com and use their part diagrams to compare parts between the auto tranny Pulsar and manual tranny version. Clutch set, new clutch master and slave, axles and a number of other new parts can be found at Rockauto.com; just look-up an 89 Pulsar 1.8L. There may be a spacer in the end of the crank for the torque converter nose that you will have to remove with a slide hammer. You may or may not have a pilot bushing in the end of the crank, but, regardless, I would use the new one that will come with the clutch kit. Looking at Car-part.com, they list 23 manual transmissions that will fit an 89 Pulsar NX 1.8L DOHC MT; I would find the closest salvage yards to you and contact them with what you are looking for and hopefully you'll find one that has a vehicle with the entire manual trans and clutch system intact.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts