Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on getting either a Nissan Sentra Se-R Spec V or a Dodge SRT-4 in the near future, but i cannot decide on which is better. My first thoughts were that the only advantages the Dodge had over the Nissan was the turbo. But i didnt want to go solely on that, so i tried researching. Unfortunately, my research wasnt thorough enough and im starting to think that i should just buy the Spec V and use the extra 3 - 4 grand from the price difference for aftermarket parts, or maybe even a turbo installation. I dont know which one to go with right now but i am leaning towards another sentra. What should i do? Oh and please... if your going to reply dont jus say Nissan and thats it, i need reasons why i should or shouldn't go with either car

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
Well if your looking for good stock performance I would go for the SRT. That and a couple Mopar upgrades would net you probably 50 more HP over stock. But I've heard about some reliability problems. Someone else should go more in depth.

·
off topic VIP
388 Posts
♣AsleepZ♣ said:
Well if your looking for good stock performance I would go for the SRT.
i agree. its got more impressive #'s.

on the SRT, the rear suspension can handle sloppily and u dont get side airbags w/the sport seats. there were a few recalls regarding WOT stuttering and A/C performance, but most were problems were cured by 2005.

by the numbers its superior to the nissan but id drive both cars.

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
Actually with all of the success and the fact that it is long term tested as well as dyno proven, I would buy the Spec V and the PTI kit. Not only would you get to stick with Nissan, but you would have the novelty of a customized vehicle. Sometimes, having the more customized work is more impressive than a fast stock car. There are pros and cons of each but that is what I would personally do.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
Just buy a turboed Z;)

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
aftermarket support for the SRT is far superior to the sentra in every aspect. the engine is stronger, more powerful, and the thing can be made to handle better than a modded spec v even.

·
off topic VIP
388 Posts
if u r a nissan loyalist i actually would recommend u get a used 300zx turbo. cheap to pick up and u would easily beat neons...

and with rwd u could do some kickass drifts.
:cheers:

·
Destroyer of worlds.
874 Posts
yeah, now for something useful.

historically, japanese cars handle better than american cars. the old addage "americans have no trouble making it fast in a straight line, but give em a few curves and they're lost".

i would go with the spec-v on that basis alone, i've never drivine a domestic with decent handling...even the ones that are supposed to have good handling.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thx for the input, im thinking i still wanna go with the Spec V based on the fact that im a corners guy and id much rather go fast in the corners than on a straight. about the 300zx, its appreciated but i am looking for a 2005 performer under 20000 (funny the SRT is over 20000) and something that wont kill me on insurance. The cars i came up with that i liked most were the SRT and the Spec V. so far i really think im gonna stick w/ the Nissan tho since after looking at it and giving it a thorough inspection it seems to fit me better. Thx again for the posts their much appreciated.

oh, and one more thing,... i was expecting u guys to be a lot more biased towards nissans, but ok...

·
Registered
57 Posts
i've driven the nismo tune spec-v on a lil course. that spec-v handles like a champ!!! throttle response on that car was great off the turns. i know it was a stock car but it has a lot of potential. i've been in an srt-4 also. that car just has a lot of raw power. makes ur head snap back more than a wrx. can't go wrong with either. ur call. just test drive em both!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
to correct my previous post i meant to say. i know its a lot different and stronger then a stock car, but it has a lot of potential.

·
Registered
455 Posts
It's really about what you want!

It's not which is better, it's what you want to get out of a car and what you want to pay. Do you need 230hp? Are you willing to pay more to upgrade the suspension to handle the 230hp? The SRT-4 is a powerhouse indeed but with an inadequate suspension and other quality issues, it all goes back to my 2 questions.
For me the Spec V delivered the power and handling I wanted. I will do some autocross (driving schools and solo 2) and love winding country roads. Racing guys at stop lights or any kind of street racing is absolutely of no interest to me. The price I paid for the V was all I wanted to pay as well. While you can add horsepower and such to the V, I really didn't see a need for it. The V fulfilled all my needs and desires when I was car shopping.
Have you driven both of them? That might help you as well because both cars are destinctly different.

·
Registered
121 Posts
A freind of mine was going to get an SRT, it was alright but the suspension sucks. It had wheel hop like crazy

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
SRT guys like Energy Suspension as much as us SE-R guys. That is because we both have terrible wheel hop.:p

·
Registered
455 Posts
1900 said:
A freind of mine was going to get an SRT, it was alright but the suspension sucks. It had wheel hop like crazy
It makes no sense to go all out like that and then forget about the suspension.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts