Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 HB, I've had it several years now. I've always took it 4-wheeling on my family land or friends land & had a great time & lots of luck in the mud & different types of terrain. I'm starting to get more into off roading & starting to go to different parks & 4x4 trails. As I'm sure everyone knows, all you see is Jeeps, I love Jeeps, but I also love my HB. I do need to upgrade some things on my HB if I'm going to doing more 4x4 trails but am I fighting a losing battle, are Jeeps that great?? Is upgrading my HB for true off road not a good Idea?? Do I really need to go buy a Jeep. My HB is awesome, but is it really not a good choice for true 4x4 trails?? Everyone jump in on this thread please.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I know this post may be better suited for a 4x4 site but I was just wondering what people here thought. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I have a 1995 HB, I've had it several years now. I've always took it 4-wheeling on my family land or friends land & had a great time & lots of luck in the mud & different types of terrain. I'm starting to get more into off roading & starting to go to different parks & 4x4 trails. As I'm sure everyone knows, all you see is Jeeps, I love Jeeps, but I also love my HB. I do need to upgrade some things on my HB if I'm going to doing more 4x4 trails but am I fighting a losing battle, are Jeeps that great?? Is upgrading my HB for true off road not a good Idea?? Do I really need to go buy a Jeep. My HB is awesome, but is it really not a good choice for true 4x4 trails?? Everyone jump in on this thread please.
First off, I once owned a 87 KC 4x4 and a Jeep CJ7. The Jeep has a 5.7L Chevy small block, 2" lift with 33" BFG mud terrains. OME (Old Man Emu) leaf springs. It went everywhere!

But it all depends on what kind of off roading you want to do. I don't think you can change gear ratio's on Nissan HB without swapping axles, AFAIK. Regards to suspension lifts... you'll have to look it up as I couldn't find a set for my 1987 HB back in the day.

Jeeps are the way to go for extreme off roading, IN MY OPINION. Take the doors off, bolt on 1/4" sheet metal to the rocker panel or side of the tub and you're protected from heavy dents... if any when you go rock crawling.

There are quite a few pro's and cons.

The good things about Jeeps are parts are plentiful, CJ and some YJ parts are interchangeable (ie windshield frame, doors, tops...). YJ tubs will fit on CJ frames, quite a bit of modding to do though... fuel tank filler and dash wiring. After market selection for Jeeps are awesome, as I'm sure you know. Believe me, you'll have waaayyy more fun in a jeep. Take the doors off, top down and you'll really enjoy nature.

Bad thing is, more easily to get stolen or broken into. You can always modify ammunition cans by adding locks to them and bolting them down. I once had a 5.56mm ammunition can with lock bolted on top of the rear wheel well.

Probably easier to get wet, depending on circumstances. More chance of rollover than HB and of course, louder (ie road noise, wind).

As for the HB, less chance of roll over, keep dry from rain, snow and mud. More secure when locked up. Less aftermarket parts and a lot more work to modify (ie suspension).

Either way, I'm sure you'll have fun off roading in either 4x4.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Having had jeeps and my current 97 HB I can tell you they are two very differant animals. If your going to spend most of your time offroad I'd go with a jeep. With a little modification there is not many places they won't go and hey they're just cool. But in the everyday world of driving back and forth to work and fourwheelin on the weekend with the right set of tires and maybe a little lift to compensate for the longer wheelbase I don't think you'll be disappointed with your nissan. Its also been my experiance nissans are way more dependable and tend to cost less to operate and if your budget is like mine that is a big consideration.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got both right now!!

95 HB with 62k orig miles. all stock except for exhaust.

89 Wrangler - Naked (no doors, top, etc)

HB for the winter, Wrangler for the summer.

If you read on the Project Pathfinder, you could set up your HB to tow your wrangler TO the trail with not alot of modding to the HB. That way you could pick up a wrangler with no title (less $$$) and not have to worry about driving on regular roads

1 - 5 of 5 Posts