Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
800+ posts
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would test everyone's knowledge of random Nissan / Datsun trivia... particularly the powerplants available. This will include both production gasoline (petrol) engines as well as commercial and production diesel engines. Good luck... they shouldn't be too hard.

Here's the first one. I'll make it an easy one. Please answer the engine series at least, since displacement can be tricky sometimes.

·
Registered
407 Posts
CA18DE or CA18det

·
800+ posts
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Correct. Of course, that one was an easy one ;).

Here is a little bit of a tricky one:

I'll give you a hint; it's a Datsun engine though it actually says "NISSAN" on the valve cover. Back in the day when it was "Datsun by Nissan".

·
800+ posts
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Sure, no problem. The engine itself is a precursor to the infamous FJ-series, and was designed after the success of the S20 DOHC engines of the 1970s Skylines. Though not a true production engine, this series was nonetheless assembled by Nissan / Datsun and used by the company heavily from 1973 to 1978 with great success.

P.S. as far as I know, it was RWD.

Models available in:

1973 Datsun PB110 1600cc Sunny
1973 Datsun TS210 1400cc Sunny GX 5
Datsun 710SSS (Australia)

·
800+ posts
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Bingo... LZ series. Basically an L-series engine with a DOHC cylinder head designed by Nissan. I also believe this DOHC head can be used on the Z-series as well, hence the LZ designation. Unfortunately, Nissan never released an LZ head for the 6-cylinder L-series, it is 4-cylinder only.

Here is the next one:

·
800+ posts
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This engine series was used by Nissan / Datsun from 1968-1982. By far one of the most common and popular engines of the '70s for more compact cars. It is an OHV engine, and the last to be used in production by Nissan / Datsun before the shift to OHC. Displacement ranged from 1.0 - 1.5 litres, and the powerplant was available as either FWD or RWD, depending on the application.

P.S. this particular engine pictured is setup to run as an LPG (Liquified Petroleum Gas) engine, most likely in an industrial application (forklift, etc.)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts