Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.

I was having my oil changed at a quick-service shop in Canada and advised that my trans flush service was due in 10K kms at 100K (I drove in at 90K). For the sake of convenience, I asked them to do it as I did not want to have to book another appointment with my dealer. The services they performed included using a CVT fluid that is equivalent to NS-3, however not genuine Nissan CVT NS-3. Fast forward approx 20k kms (and 9 months), and my 2015 Pathfinder started stalling on me when I gave it any more than just a touch of the throttle. I brought it back to the dealer for review as I purchased an extended 5 yr/120k warranty which I was still covered by. The long and short of it, after 11 weeks of delay to replace the CVT ( as required by error code P17FO), I got the following response:

"Nissan Canada carefully considered your request during a review of all of the available facts pertaining to your specific situation. Nissan Canada is unable to cover the repair of the transmission due to the usage of a third party CVT fluid that damaged the transmission.

Nissan Canada emphasizes to its dealers to use only Nissan CVT fluid in the work they perform on Nissan CVT transmissions. We indicate the same to our consumers in the owner’s manual.

Nissan has found that aftermarket CVT fluids did not perform to the same level as the Nissan CVT fluid. As such, we are not in a position to validate or recommend them. Kindly understand that the warranty claim decision is based on the work completed at a third party garage using the incorrect fluid for your vehicle's CVT."

The catch is that the owners manual states the following:

"Using fluids that are not equivalent to Genuine NISSAN CVT Fluid NS-3 may damage the CVT."

This implies that as long as the CVT fluid is equivalent, it would not damage the transmission.

Any thoughts on course of action?

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,096 Posts
Sounds like a nightmare. I guess Nissan expects you to sue the fluid manufacturer that claimed its the equivalent of NS-3. For all we know it could well be the same company that makes the fluid for Nissan.
Maybe somebody in this thread can help you

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like a nightmare. I guess Nissan expects you to sue the fluid manufacturer that claimed its the equivalent of NS-3. For all we know it could well be the same company that makes the fluid for Nissan.
Maybe somebody in this thread can help you
LOL, I had the same thought. The repair shop is trying to get some better specs from the manufacturer, fingers crossed on that one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I didn't realize you were in Canada when I post about the Magnuson-Moss act and that it wouldn't apply to you. Good luck with the organization you found in Canada.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts