Nissan Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If someone can tell me why my nissan altima only makes a whirling sound and not start after I ran it hot I would be much obliged. I cant afford to have it towed to a mechanic to look at it so obviously i cant afford repairs right now but I'm hoping what ive researched on the internet isnt all true. I hope I just blew a head gasket and it can easily be replaced and not have warped the engine block itself. It wasnt showing hot it just felt funny although the car had ran hot a couple times before because the hose kept coming off. I thought it was just loose so I put a clamp on it thinking that it would be good. It mustve been building pressure for some reason because it popped off again but I paid no attention because i waa sure it was fine but I was driving on the highway and felt the start sputtering and said oh no and my wife said what and i said the car feels funny. She said get off on this exit so I pull off and right as i got off the car died and had enough momentum to pull into a lot. After that the car would not start. Its just making a weird sound. Had to get it towed home. Please tell me I dont need a whole new engine.

·
Admin and Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,673 Posts
If you had ongoing severe overheating, a lot of bad things can happen. One of the first things to do is perform an ECU code readout with a portable scan tool to see if any fault codes are set. The tool can be purchased at most auto parts stores or online at Amazon.com. Post the actual codes here on the forum so that we may be able to help you further. If there is one or more fault codes set, they can help point to the malfunction.

At this point you'll have to determine if there's a fuel delivery, ignition, or a mechanical problem. Due to the severe overheating, you may have blown the head gasket. Perform a compression test on all cylinders. The readings should be: standard - 204 psi, minimum - 177 psi, difference limit between cylinders -14 psi.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts