Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm not sure if the intake is tune specific but it's legal. The exhaust is the questionable issue. I'm not sure about the actual cat/back exhaust but all Nismo headers are not street legal. My car came with the exhaust from the dealer and I'm sure they wouldn't have done that if it was illegal.

·
Registered
215 Posts
NISMO

I WORK AT CERRITOS NISSAN. NISMO CAI IS NOT LEGAL. IT IS A R-TUNE PRODUCT. HOW EVER IF YOU NEED ONE I CAN GET YOU INJEN. IT IS LEGAL. A NISMO EXHAUST IS LEGAL. ALMOST ALL EXHAUST ARE LEGAL BECAUSE THEY ARE AFTER THE EMISSIONS AND WILL NOT ALTER IT. THE ONLY THING THAT MAKES AN EXHAUST ILLEGAL IS THE NOISE.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm surprised they put the intake in my car at the dealer in that case. I wish they would have went ahead and hooked me up with a header as opposed to the Nismo racing stickers. I wouldn't be in this mess I'm in now.

·
Registered
215 Posts
NISMO

DEALERS DONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT INSTALLING ILLEGAL PARTS. IT DEPENDS IF THEY WANT TO DEAL WITH ALL THE LEGAL AND WARRANTY ISSUES AFTER THE CUSTOMER CRASHES OR SUCKS UP WATER. IF IT WAS ILLEGAL FOR A DEALER TO SELL IT THEN THE SAME WOULD APPLY TO PERFORMANCE SHOPS

·
Registered
51 Posts
DAMN!! Now I really wish they would have installed a header than those stickers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I WORK AT CERRITOS NISSAN. NISMO CAI IS NOT LEGAL. IT IS A R-TUNE PRODUCT. HOW EVER IF YOU NEED ONE I CAN GET YOU INJEN. IT IS LEGAL. A NISMO EXHAUST IS LEGAL. ALMOST ALL EXHAUST ARE LEGAL BECAUSE THEY ARE AFTER THE EMISSIONS AND WILL NOT ALTER IT. THE ONLY THING THAT MAKES AN EXHAUST ILLEGAL IS THE NOISE.
how much would it be to get that injen cai? also how much does that nismo exhaust cost as well. im looking into getting one or the other right now but im not fully decided on which one i should get

·
Registered
215 Posts
for you the injen intake is $275 plus shipping. nismo exhaust is $683.40 plus shipping and i can get you an aftermarket exhaust for $460 plus shipping

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just trying to clear up some points here. There are 3 possible, negative consequences to consider when modifying your intake or exhaust, "street legal" status, emmissions adherence and dealer warranty.

Intake: this is not an emissions issue, which is why state inspection doesn't provide a flow-test to your air filter. As long as the O2 sensor is intact, you're good. It could be a street legal decibel issue, but not likely. It is, however a warranty issue. If the product is installed at a nissan dealer it should not effect your factory warranty (including Nismo). One of the biggest differences, in this case, between R-tune and S-Tune is the warranty that the part itself carries. I can't remember which is which, but one of them has their own 12 month warranty. Any problems with the engine resulting from the CAI will be covered by warranty (if DEALER INSTALLED!!!).

Exhaust: street legal is certainly an issue if it's on the loud side. That also crosses into emmission legal, which it may be, but after market exhaust (and header, for that matter) may remove one or both catlytic converters which is illegal to varying levels, depending on the state. Warranty would be a similar situation with dealer endorsed/installed products vs owner installed.

All that aside it will also depends on the mood of your dealer's service manager when the car breaks as well as the mood of the Nissan Rep when they seek approval for warranty work.

I had a "dealer installed" nismo cai on my spec-v, drove the hell out of the car for 70,000 until it sucked up a throttle plate. It destroyed the cylinder it went through and I got a rebuilt engine, under my 5 year/100k warranty.

·
Registered
215 Posts
r tune has no warranty but it doesnt mean it voids your warranty. if the aftermarket part (any aftermarket part including nismo r tune) is the cause, like you said depending on the mood he is in, will not be covered. you can play it safe with a cat back and all you have to worry about is how loud it is. it cant alter emissions because it is after o2 sensors and everything. s tune products have a 12 month warranty but if its not installed at the dealer it is hard to get the factory to warranty it for us. if you want to install it your self then try to get all your info on the reciept so it looks better to the factory.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts