Nissan Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
id save up quickly. i think it was mentioned somewhere in one of the earlier posts...coolant makes a bad lubricant. the head gasket is only going to get worse and leak more coolant into your cylinder, destroying the rings and anything else it touches that should have oil on it.

also, the cylinder head will continue to warp and eventually a machine shop wont be able to mill it down enough to take away the warping, and youll have to buy a new head also.

just an update to my situation- the car only has 61k miles on it, and unfortunately thats just past the 60k warranty. we are in the process of arguing with the dealer since we've bought 4 cars there over the past 5 years or so.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I will be. I was quoted $700 for the repairs so I'll get some other work done at the same time.

I'll be borrowing my GF's car until things are sorted out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
700...nice, thats pretty cheap.

i was quoted 1500 if the machine shop could mill the head down and i didnt have to buy a new head. 2600 if the milling didnt work and i had to also buy a new head. arg.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was surprised as well.
The place is known for working on imports, moreso Jaguars and BMW's than a Sentra, but they are geniuses.

They said if I thought that was the problem they'd do a pressure test first.

Considering one shop charged me $100 to say that the coils needed replacing I'm happy its that price.

I don't know how long its been the way it is. I remember my car shooting out cold air a week ago. I drive maybe 20 miles/day so hopefully it hasn't done any damage.

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
I never had a problem with my HG. Usually, and I say ususally, headgaskets only go that early due to an overheating episode or something along those lines.

·
Registered
1 Posts
report your complaint!

i have the same problem and was also alarmed nissan isnt doing anything about it. lets all report the issue, it takes some time but the more complaints the better!

Vehicle Owners | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

you can request a form or fill out online.
the problem is it asks you to select from a list of parts for filing the report. i did mine under engine, cooling system. if you search among the different options you will find the same problems. maybe just do engine or engine cooling to try to get more together in one file.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just took apart my 02 sentra gxe 255K miles to replace the head gasket. Can you recommend a cylinder head service company in the Allentown/Bethlehem or Scranton PA area?

·
Registered
1 Posts

Blown head gasket. '02 S-ER. 105,000 km.
The cost this plus other repairs is about double what the car is worth.
Time for a new ride.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My '02 Sentra had between 110-115K miles when it's leaky head gasket turned on the "Service Engine" light with a misfire.

It's the third car in which I've had to change a head gasket, but the only one that was actually worth such a repair, as opposed to the others which I simply needed too badly not to.

Also, the first computerized car on which I've attempted a partial teardown, as well as my first aluminum head to R&R. I'm proud to still be driving it, including two interstate road trips so far since.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sentra -2003 Head Gasket Problem

Hello,

My 2003 Nissan Sentra -100 K KM has following problems

When I start especially in the mornings it stalls for say 30 seconds .It seems it is missing some cylinder from firing .I took the car to my mechanic and he scanned and there was n't any codes and he changed the spark plugs However the problem continued and in a couple weeks I got the indicator "Engine Service Soon". I took the car again to my mechanic and he scanned the code was P0303.

As I suspected there was a missing registered in cylinder -3 . My mechanic said this may be a code registered from the earlier problems (Before spark plug changing ) .So he cleared the code and said it should be ok .

The problem (stalling during starting ) persisted and "Engine service soon" reappear.in a week time

This time while driving the car to my mechanic ,it started over heating and gave jerking .I never had this jerking while driving..and when I was trying to increase the speed it was not responding and the rpm was fluctuating also.

Again mechanic .The top radiator hose was hot while bottom was cold He poured some coolant in the radiator and scanned .P0303 and another code for multiple misfiring.

My Mechanic doubts engine head gasket is gone.

I would like to have some expert opinion on this.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,270 Posts
Hello,

My 2003 Nissan Sentra -100 K KM has following problems

When I start especially in the mornings it stalls for say 30 seconds .It seems it is missing some cylinder from firing .I took the car to my mechanic and he scanned and there was n't any codes and he changed the spark plugs However the problem continued and in a couple weeks I got the indicator "Engine Service Soon". I took the car again to my mechanic and he scanned the code was P0303.

As I suspected there was a missing registered in cylinder -3 . My mechanic said this may be a code registered from the earlier problems (Before spark plug changing ) .So he cleared the code and said it should be ok .

The problem (stalling during starting ) persisted and "Engine service soon" reappear.in a week time

This time while driving the car to my mechanic ,it started over heating and gave jerking .I never had this jerking while driving..and when I was trying to increase the speed it was not responding and the rpm was fluctuating also.

Again mechanic .The top radiator hose was hot while bottom was cold He poured some coolant in the radiator and scanned .P0303 and another code for multiple misfiring.

My Mechanic doubts engine head gasket is gone.

I would like to have some expert opinion on this.

Thanks in advance
Do you really have any doubt after reading the symtoms on this thread ?

Follow the path, replace plugs and coils, record how much coolant you ar e losing, and work out where its going. Is heater working ?

Check exhaust and coolant, and look for leaks.

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
10,023 Posts
Tell your mechanic to check for a blown head gasket a cylinder #3; he can do a cylinder leakdown test to confirm. It's a very common failure on the 1.8L.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Replaced Nissan Sentra (2003 ) Head Gasket on 02 Apr -Paid CAD $ 720. This includes machining cost as well.
My mechanic said he does this for every head gasket fix.

Every thing seems ok except I have to push the gas pedal during hot starts otherwise it starts but dies .Now I give a little gas to push the rpm up during hot starts.

My mechanic said it takes a while for the computer to relearn .Now I am monitoring this new problem.

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
10,023 Posts
He should have relearned the idle air volume after performing the repair.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts