Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and its still leaking from the bolt! i tried changing the gasket too, no go..maybe one of those rubber ones

so, i put some caulking to try to hold it in until saturday when i have time to change the oil pan.

should i use caulking or liquid gasket to seal the outside of the bolt?

·
Registered
78 Posts
are you sure it's leaking at the bolt? Did you use a copper washer?

I'll give you a crappy fix...Go to the garden section of wal mart or whatever and get yourself a garden hose o-ring. It should fit pretty well and take care of the leak (for a little while). It's big time ghetto, but it works.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
ifoam said:
oh, and i used a nylon washer
nylon wont seal anything.............to hard, and if it is worped its to hard to smooth out. i have no idea what your problem is (i havent read any posts before this one in the ga section today) but im thinking you are over looking the obvious. instead of putting sealent on the out side of the bolt, why dont you use some bolt seal or plumbers tape/liqued seal on the bolt thread?

·
Will work for beer
2,696 Posts
Take the car back to Wal-Mart and raise hell with the service manager.

since the thing is still leaking, get a clean drain pan and dump the oil out..
clean around the drain hole with brake cleaner or something as well as the plug and washer.. then put a dab of RTV silicone on the threads of the plug and put it back in. wait about 15 minutes for it to cute a bit, then put the oil back into the engine.

I had this problem a while back when I stripped the plug on my tranny case. put in a helicoil kit and used the method above and it doesn't leak at all. just don't use a ton of RTV and you'll still be able to break it loose later.

teflon tape and plumbers putty are HORRIBLE ideas, as they can both come apart in oil and will contaminate the system...
Nylon washers have also been used for a long time with good results here, but sometimes they just don't seal perfectly.

·
absolutely classic
455 Posts
ifoam said:
oh, and i used a nylon washer
Nylon washers are crap in my opinion. I got one when I changed the oil last time and the thing leaked pretty bad. Stick with the copper washer, they work like they are supposed to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts