Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I recently bought a red 1986 2-door Nissan Sentra from a family friend for a real good low price. She only has 130k original miles, clean title, straight body, and cleanable interior lol.

The person I got it from told me that it has electrical problems, not so sure exactly what is wrong though. Here are the problems/symptoms that I can remember:

Pressing the brake pedal- faint "static" noises occur through the speakers each time you press on it.
Indicator lights flicker on/off. (the indicator lights above the steering column, not the cluster) I believe there's a high beam light, ECC?, battery,...

Now, I was fiddling under the radio and there was this long bendable piece of metal that I accidentally bent back and it touched the soldering joints of this "box" thing that apparently had no cover on. I quickly heard the sound of when you blow a fuse. ZAP! :eek:

Now when I turn my key to the ON position, there are no indicator lights that light up like before, before you crank the engine. Also, my turn signals do not work and the battery light stays ON! Adding to that, my fuel gauge arrow dropped past E. (I'm guessing that broke too)

The lights that light up the cluster work, as well as the headlights, high beams, tail lights, brake lights, hazard lights, and radio work perfectly. I'm guessing when I pressed the metal against the solder joints of that "box" thing caused these chain of problems. I'm just not so sure what that thing is exactly. I'll try and upload a picture if that helps.

I'm sorry for the very long post. I'm just another person trying real hard to fix up this beautiful machine, so any help is appreciated :)

Thanks in advance

Jayman

·
Still Nissaning
825 Posts
Hmm.. this could be quite labor intensive for you to track down. Start with fuses, and bulbs. Check all connectors to ensure they are plugged in properly, make sure there are no wires with insulation missing that could short to anything.
If you don't have a Chiltons or Haynes manual, look for one that has schematics. You may also have blown a fusable link, or even the voltage regulator for the gauge cluster. There are numerous possibilities of what you could have damaged.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply:)

I now have the Haynes manual in my hands and I'm going to try and tackle this thing out. There are so many wires under the dash that have been cut and spliced, etc etc...it looks like a horrible nightmare! The radio's harness is spliced into the car's harness, but the job looks so messy that I can't verify if it is even correctly connected. The radio does turn on when its in ACC.

I need help identifying this mysterious "box" thing that is located under the radio area. There was a long "mounting" bracket (which I removed) extending from the back of the radio and I accidentally bent it and it made contact with the soldering joints, which audibly made a "ZAP" sound. I think this is the reason why there are no dash sensors (AND turn signals) that light up when you start the car. (Turn signals & sensors use to work prior to the ZAP)

Well here are the pictures. Hope it helps!!

Oh and what is that unplugged harness supposed to be connected to?

·
Registered
33 Posts
That gold box would be the seat belt timer. That unplugged harness would be your radio harness,looks like the previous owner had bypassed the harness and spliced directly to the radio. There may be blown fusible links (short wires that do the same thing as a fuse) on the battery check those, and double check All the fuses. As bob stated there is numerous things that could be causing this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts