Nissan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

New to the site and I just bought a 98 sentra over the weekend, its an auto if that matters....

I have noticed a some things that I was hoping you guys may be able to help me out on. (sorry if it seems like a long post just trying not to post in various threads)

1- Going at slow speeds like from a stop my steering wheel woobles left to right, not noticable during higher speeds 25mph and on but during highs speeds (highway) feels like I have allot of play in the steering wheel does not feel tight...any suggestions?

Now the owner I bought it from did show me a reciept for some work he did to it about a yr ago Tranny redone and two new front axles and tires... but I also have a bent rim (not too bad, does not leak air) so I do not know if its the rim or the tie rods/ball joints... I want to get this addressed but what should I look out for (sounds,etc) that can lead me to know ifs it a suspension problem or not??

I have the opportunity to pick up a set of 16 inch rims and tires this week for like $200 but dont want to spend it I my suspension needs work....

2- Also what are the common problems with this generation sentra... just so that I can be on the lookout or have addressed

Thanks guys/gals

Jay

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,240 Posts
You dont say trim level or engine model....
assuming is a GA16DE
1) the low speed wobble is from your tire and rim being bent and or out of round.
The light feeling can be from the wrong alignment, but this cars are light and power assisted steering so not sure this is an issue.

2) watch for Oil leak form the from crank seal, very common with the GA.
It on the passenger side under the engine pulley most people here change this themselves, there are threads to help you.

Otherwise the car is very reliable.

If both brake and Alt lights come on together its the Alternator going bad, can flash or vary with speed.

The Nissan's don't like being started and moved 25 - 50 feet, particularly when its cold outside.
If you do this ( don't we all at some time) and car wont start stop cranking.
Push throttle all the way to the floor and hold it down.
then crank till it starts, let go of the pedal as revs rise.
( this tells the ECU the car is flooded and shuts off fuel flow to the injectors till you release the throttle)

If you take it in or do brake work yourself when pads are out check the front wheel bearings, they should rotate with resistance and have no play.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
how many miles ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My fault that info would be helpful huh--LOL

Mileage is 129K

Trim: to be honest I do not know...LOL its not listed on the title or the rear of car:wtf:.... but I do know its full power all around but no CD player, its a tape deck...ugh!! I think its the GLE or the gxe but dont know,sorry!

and engine size is 1.6

thanks for the info on the seal and bearings... I will check those out as well!!

Jay

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
both my 97's needed CV boots last summer, both at 105 - 110 K miles and 10.25 yrs, yes they went 5 months apart at exactly 10 yrs and 3 months old.....

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
The radio is easy to change, you can buy the plugs to plug into the Nissan harness for about $10 -$15
If you want a 2DIN just remove the little pocket thing....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
both my 97's needed CV boots last summer, both at 105 - 110 K miles and 10.25 yrs, yes they went 5 months apart at exactly 10 yrs and 3 months old.....

Thanks for helping me out I much apprecaite it, the guy I bought it from list of stuff he did to the car last yr and he did say that when he did the tranny and the axles he had them check all the boots and joints but that is all "hear say" so I just was wondering if that wobble could be caused by anything suspension wise... but I am still going to take it to a shop this weekend so that they check out my front end.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The radio is easy to change, you can buy the plugs to plug into the Nissan harness for about $10 -$15
If you want a 2DIN just remove the little pocket thing....

Funny you say this cause I ordered the rear center tailight off ebay this weekend cause mine is cracked and I saw the OE 2din cd player... since my wife is using the car she likes that one... if I were to pop that out and replace it with the OE 2 din CD player do I still need a another harness or should the OE work since its a OE radio?

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
i don't know what OE 2 DIN you are looking at, my 97 SE-R came new with a single radio tape plus a single CD player ( $750 option !!!) and it has a plug that connect the two units.
If its a one piece it must be a later unit or not for a Sentra / 200sx.

and yes its fits the standard plugs !!!
there are two, one for all but the rear speakers and one for the rear speakers.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Why not buy a new 2DIN unit, you can get really fancy one that support a back-up camera for $200 -$300 and ones with Navigation for $500 - $1000.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
and most play DVD's as well

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Well my guess is yes, buts its a guess.....They are all B14's through 99.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I got rid of my tape deck and put in a double din non-Bose Nissan CD and cassette unit from the same era Altima on eBay for about $60 bucks in excellent condition. This particular unit required an adapter to go from the industry standard single male antenna plug to a Nissan double male plug adapter. I bought the adapter on eBay for about $5. If you just want a CD player only, Nissan put a double DIN CD only in 98-99 Sentra and 200SXs that is pure plug and play, no need for that antenna adapter. You do lose the cubby below the radio though. There are some single DIN Nissan CD players from that era on eBay as well if you prefer to keep the cubby.

If you go aftermarket, you'll need wiring harness and you'll be cutting/splicing. Since the slot is single DIN it should fit new aftermarket decks but not sure if it requires some additional parts of adapters. The Sentra antenna plug is industry standard so no problems there.

In the end, I wanted inexpensive, stock-looking and less likely to be stolen. So I went with a Nissan unit. With today's fancy aftermarket decks, I am sure those are much more interesting to thieves than my plain outdated Nissan CD/cassette.

Do check eBay if you go Nissan stock though. Search for Nissan CD.

Getting it out is easy. Remove plastic tab between defrost and hazard, unscrew and then use a screwdriver to gently pop up the trim plate. Unplug the defrost and hazard plugs and you're home free. Piece of cake.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts