Nissan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Friends of ours...
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2002 Altima with the 3.5l V6.

Twin turbo units would make the most sense for all out power, but what about a single turbo? Any real issues?

·
Friends of ours...
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know... I really don't know what questions to ask. I'm thinking with my pocket book here. A single seems cheaper than duals. Unlimited funds would answer all my questions...:D

I'll read up more, but with a V6 is a single even a possibility?

·
3 bar MAP
1,381 Posts
it would be easier to make two manis for two turbos for a V6 than it would be to make one mani for one turbo on the same engine. u can run both banks to one turbo though...for example the older ZX's had v6's with a single T3. u have to comprimise, a single turbo allows easier IC and exhaust piping and twins make the IC and exhaust piping a little harder.

·
MFCoEJ Juror
242 Posts
Yeah, but if there are only 3 cylinders running each turbo, they will have to be pretty small. But if you run a single huge turbo, you will have more potential.

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
OhTwoAltimaSE said:
I own a 2002 Altima with the 3.5l V6.

Twin turbo units would make the most sense for all out power, but what about a single turbo? Any real issues?
Twin turbos are often easier to package in a V-6 FR configuration car but for a FF, A big single is proably easier.

This is actualy good because a bigger turbo has higher efficiency. Smaller turbos have proportionaly more backside leakage on the compressor and turbine wheels because the clearances are nearly the same as the bigger wheeled larger turbos. This gives a big single the advantage.

In most cases a big single is only a little more laggy than two smaller turbos. If I was to turbo an Alty, it would probably be a big single.

Mike

·
3 bar MAP
1,381 Posts
a supercharger would be much more reliable
how is a turbo less reliable when a supercharger is mechanically driven? it may be easier to "bolt on" a pre-fabbed supercharger kit.....but a turbo is more fun, to build and drive!

I missed this post.... EXACTLY what I'm thinking about.
it would not be that difficult to fab their design, those 3 bolt flanges attach probably attach to the stock exhaust manifold, allowing for a simple turbo manifold design.

·
Smth Crmnl,not therapist
852 Posts
Just a note on turbo maximas, if you guys wanna see a good example of a turbo-ed FF v-6.

Unclemax never actually finished his project if I remember right. There was a guy on the maximas.org who was successful in turboing the max and was selling the turbo kit for the 95-99. He had 2 different user names however, and the only one I remember is NigelCMF. He had a single turbo max pushing (I believe) about 350 on 12 psi with a T3/TO4. I don't believe he has a website, but you should look for the thread on maximas.org as it has a helluva lot of posts. 300+ last I checked a couple of months ago. Noting that, I believe a single turbo would be the most efficient way. I suggest talking to Nigel and seeking his opinions, as it would be greatly helpful. Thanx 4 listenin guys

1 - 14 of 14 Posts