Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone Im new to the tuner world and I need some help buying some parts for the my 240sx. I did some homework and bought these parts but not sure where to go from here.

SR20DET w/ tranny
HKS exhaust w/ down pipe
Greddy boost controller
HKS turbo timer
Blitz blow off valve
VIS carbon fiber hood
VIS carbon fiber trunk
Rims from a R32 Skyline
Skyline brake kit, (rotors, calipers, pads and lines)

Well thats all I have for now, I kind of have an idea of what to do but I know Im missing alot of stuff such as fuel pumps, injectors and other stuff but it's kind of overwelming right now and I could use some help to build this car. As of right now I have a budget of 9K to get this car as close to 300HP and to get it looking nice. Any help will helpfull

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,242 Posts
Some of the items you'll need:
- FMIC
- SR20 engine harness
- SR20 ECU
- Walbro-255 fuel pump

·
Registered
407 Posts
If you have never done a motor conversion and dont have anyone to help you this is going to be a long long road to driving your car.....As Rogo said I would have kept the KA motor for the same amount you have slapped down on an SR20 you could have had a 300+hp troque beast with the KA24de motor. But since you only did SR20 research I sugest you find a forum that can help you with it. Nico or other groups like that have advice for your situation.....If you decide to abandon the project ckeck out KA-t.org....Where panking SR20's is a way of life....

·
Registered
4 Posts
for being new to the tuner world he picked up some pretty classy parts lol
but swapping for begginers is almost impossible if he has no experience

·
Registered
407 Posts
He picked up parts that any of the Imports mags list as a parts list for an sr20...and few Fast and furious parts...

·
Registered
973 Posts
R32 Skyline wheels? So your planning on a 5-lug conversion also? do you know what you'll need for that?

·
Registered
31 Posts
go easy on the guy. but like was suggested get a fmic and a fuel pump. also get your shit tuned. get a daughterboarded ecu. where are you located? my boy does sr ecu's really cheap and also tunes them to have launch control. i build up to 7 psi in neutral now. great for launching

·
Registered
22 Posts
He needs a lot more then you think. Hoses, harness, ECU, Piping, & then he needs to mod the harness with the KA. Enjuku Racing in Orlando can build you a new SR20 harness but it gets $$$ but you don’t have the extra bundle of wire against the firewall. And you have to e-mail them and ask if they can do it. it isn’t a normal service. Then replace all the hoses. Not necessary but highly suggested because some hoses are a pain to get to when in the car. Re-Locate the heater hoses to the passenger side because the hoses with go around the block to the driver if not done and then you have a problem. Then get the EGR fitting out and replace it with just a regular fitting that sits flush with the extension. Sometime the steering column hits and binds.

If you have the motor take the valve cover off!!! If there is sludge then now would be a good time to rebuild. Also drain the oil pan. It ships empty but that doesn’t mean there’s anything there. Check that for coolant and metal shards. Easiest way is use a magnet. If there are a lot then rebuild is highly suggested… unless you like taking the thing apart multiple times. It is a great experience to know what you have if anything else.

Things you need assuming you didn’t get the exhaust manifold and intake manifold due to needing Injectors and fuel rail

Fuel Rail
Injectors
Fuel Pressure Regulator
Intake Manifold
Exhaust Manifold
Turbo
!!!BOLTS!!! Some come with the parts some don’t
Clutch it is all ready used so replace it now while it is there
Pilot Bearing suggested
Throw Out Bearing Suggested
Transmission Seal Suggested
Clutch Pivot Suggested
Turbo Extension
AAC Valve
More I cant think of

This is there I am with mine

!!!OH AND DONT FORGET THE SHARPIE!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
that's a pretty motor. wish mine was that clean
When the motor is out if the car just get a good engine degreeser spray it on and let it sit for a while then get some wire brushes ( i got 3 ) but a toothbrush works great for the small areas and scrub. Then place your brothers toothbrush so he doesnt know j/k Use brake clean or a hose to get the degreeser off.. And brake clean before u paint. It looked like shit before the machine shop and looked even shittyer after. so i had to paint to make it look better lol

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you have never done a motor conversion and dont have anyone to help you this is going to be a long long road to driving your car.....As Rogo said I would have kept the KA motor for the same amount you have slapped down on an SR20 you could have had a 300+hp troque beast with the KA24de motor. But since you only did SR20 research I sugest you find a forum that can help you with it. Nico or other groups like that have advice for your situation.....If you decide to abandon the project ckeck out KA-t.org....Where panking SR20's is a way of life....
+1 i can take moderatly modded SRs with my single cam ka running 8psi though your average sized t3.

wish people wouldn't be soo quick to jump on the SR band wagen - althought i almost did; i think its because the swap it portraied to be more easy and cheap than it actully is. And.... it seems like turbochargeing the ka is considered to be realy hard - its not. there is alot of reading before your ready to start buying parts though. Tuniung? Emance will do you a custom tune for $150 or less - IMO, he's just as good as JWT. hardest part about doing the ka is removing the oil pan.

If ur gonna do a swap drop an RB25 in there, 250 hp right out of the gate. Shoudln't be very hard at all to hit 300. I think thats the way im going to go when i pop the ka.... then i wanna rebuild the ka and make a ka-t powered go cart lol. one seat, low, wide, welded diff.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well the KA would be cheaper to build and easyer because it is an all ready wired up and parts can be found at any nissan dealer and autoparts store. The KA is a stronger block IMO because it is cast iron build it right and it will be able to keep up with the SR without spending the 2000+ on the SR motor and everything to go with it. Finding parts can be a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
407 Posts
PARTS for a KA are easy...JGS Turbo has all you need to Turbo your KA...A true KA turbo kit...even just the exhaust manis which can be a pain to find for the E. But JGS is a good company...I have their mani on my 95 and BOV good stuff.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hard to find parts for a ka-t?

Turbo: ebay or junkyard
Injectors/fuel pump: Deatchwerks
Tune: Emance and/or SAFC I or II
Intercooler + piping: ebay (an intercooler is an intercooler IMO)
Manifold: difficult if its a single cam.... (gladman prefrably) if its dohc, np theres lot of them around.

every other non turbo part for the ka ---> napa/autozone/canadian tir

you can your stuff cheap... or you can pay though the @ss, that depends on how much research you do. I will say this, stay away from venom injectors. ("TLF supra" on ebay)

·
Registered
31 Posts
When the motor is out if the car just get a good engine degreeser spray it on and let it sit for a while then get some wire brushes ( i got 3 ) but a toothbrush works great for the small areas and scrub. Then place your brothers toothbrush so he doesnt know j/k Use brake clean or a hose to get the degreeser off.. And brake clean before u paint. It looked like shit before the machine shop and looked even shittyer after. so i had to paint to make it look better lol
i'm a broke college student who doesn't have time or money for that right now. i actually got my car off of ebay 3 years ago and "knock on wood" she's been running strong ever since. she came with the sr installed with aftermaret suspension and internals with greddy exhaust and fmic. i payed under five grand for her after taxes. this is why i don't know why all the KA guys have to talk shit on sr swaps. they had a point 5 years ago when sr swaps still cost 6 grand not including the price of the car. but now they can be had for dirt cheap not to mentions parts are far more abundant and both motors have the same potential for performance it's all in the owners preference.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hard to find parts for a ka-t?

Turbo: ebay or junkyard
Injectors/fuel pump: Deatchwerks
Tune: Emance and/or SAFC I or II
Intercooler + piping: ebay (an intercooler is an intercooler IMO)
Manifold: difficult if its a single cam.... (gladman prefrably) if its dohc, np theres lot of them around.

every other non turbo part for the ka ---> napa/autozone/canadian tir

you can your stuff cheap... or you can pay though the @ss, that depends on how much research you do. I will say this, stay away from venom injectors. ("TLF supra" on ebay)

when talking "quality" parts. all the parts you listed are hit or miss. i woudn't run a setup trying to make more than 230whp on the stuff you listed. any real turbo for your motor shouldn't come from junkyard, who knows what condition it's it.

and emanage or safc? are you serious? that shit is garbage. you can't even modify injector pulswidth. it just lies with a modified signal to the ecu. i ran that shit for 2 years and i'll never do it again. complete garbage. get your ecu daughterboarded and tuned. much better alternative.

ebay intercooler? not if you want to make real power reliably. for a low hp budget build then. yes. but to me building your ka to be a halfassed turbo motor is just pointless.

i've raced two ka's that were built similarly to the stuff you listed and both of them lost to my stock sr which was pretty much at stock power level with the exception of an fmic and exhaust at the time.

if your gonna boost a ka atleast buid it to some decent potential. ebay parts do not equal fast and reliable

Well the KA would be cheaper to build and easyer because it is an all ready wired up and parts can be found at any nissan dealer and autoparts store. The KA is a stronger block IMO because it is cast iron build it right and it will be able to keep up with the SR without spending the 2000+ on the SR motor and everything to go with it. Finding parts can be a pain in the ass.
a ka isn't cheaper to build than a sr. they are about equal in price. the sr definitely has better quality aftermarket support simply because it's more popular. that's a fact. and you definitely are smoking something any time you think going to a nissan dealer is cheaper and that you're gonna get "quality" parts to build your ka from at a generic autoparts store.

the ka block is a 2.4 liter iron block motor and the sr is a 2.0 aluminum motor but the weight difference is around 60 lbs. that's alot of aluminum not to mention sr's have held 700+whp on the stock bottom end. so unless you're trying for 1200whp out of the factory block i wouldn't worry about it.

and how are you having trouble finding sr parts? just get basic parts from a 91 sentra se-r or infiniti g20. you can get them from the same generic auto parts store you get ka parts from

+1 i can take moderatly modded SRs with my single cam ka running 8psi though your average sized t3.

wish people wouldn't be soo quick to jump on the SR band wagen - althought i almost did; i think its because the swap it portraied to be more easy and cheap than it actully is. And.... it seems like turbochargeing the ka is considered to be realy hard - its not. there is alot of reading before your ready to start buying parts though. Tuniung? Emance will do you a custom tune for $150 or less - IMO, he's just as good as JWT. hardest part about doing the ka is removing the oil pan.

If ur gonna do a swap drop an RB25 in there, 250 hp right out of the gate. Shoudln't be very hard at all to hit 300. I think thats the way im going to go when i pop the ka.... then i wanna rebuild the ka and make a ka-t powered go cart lol. one seat, low, wide, welded diff.
what's your definition of a moderately modded sr20? a stock sr20 would obviously be at a disadvantage to your 2.4 liter with a higher comp ration running a bigger turbo than the sr20. i'm not being a fanboy but i like to make comparisons fair. what do you consider an average sized t3? and yes you are right the ka has plenty of potential and i don't know why people hate on either motor. it's easy to turbo charge. people are just scared because it's an old motor that was never meant to be boosted and doing it the right way will equal or exceed the price of a stock sr swap. it all depends what you want. if you want a 300hp or less car and you're on a budget than the ka can be tempting considering it comes with the car for us u.s. people. in the end the sr will almost always have the top end and the ka will almost certainly have the midrange, but that's why god gave us gearing hehe. in the end it's up to you what you want

1 - 20 of 31 Posts