Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got some guestions for you Nissan gurus. I'm doing a clutch job on my wife's sentra and got it all torn down per the book. Those things never tell you the stuff that makes the job not be the most pain? I have been working on old bugs for a long time and I just got into old rangers as well. Any sugestions on re-assembly on this job? I might have had a few beers after getting it out and the "TO" springs seem to be a real pain in the a** to get back in? Doing a car for the first time that you have never done is always fun? Taking the day off before going back at it towwrow night. Old guys don't do well after a few days under a car?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I don't why people can't awnser my guestions? Is it because I don't have a wing on the back of my car that mommy bought? It could be that if it bolts on most of youn guys can do it? I would normaly throw the car away or sell it to some of you want to be rice racer boys? But I want to fix this car for my daughter to drive in a few years when she is old enough. Don't get me wrong some of you guys know how to do this work, but it could be because I am a old bug guy? I would put my baja up against most of younguys and kick your asses!!!?

·
Registered
275 Posts
cncwhiz said:
I don't why people can't awnser my guestions? Is it because I don't have a wing on the back of my car that mommy bought? It could be that if it bolts on most of youn guys can do it? I would normaly throw the car away or sell it to some of you want to be rice racer boys? But I want to fix this car for my daughter to drive in a few years when she is old enough. Don't get me wrong some of you guys know how to do this work, but it could be because I am a old bug guy? I would put my baja up against most of younguys and kick your asses!!!?
you're not going to get many answers talking like that.... there's only a few people in this section who have done clutch jobs by themselves and would be able to help you. I'm not one of them unfortunately. You also have to realize that it is a holiday weekend and that some of htese people wont check the board for a few days.

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
muccman right, the most knowledgeable people around dont come each day, and especialy on holidays...

Also, the fact that youve been using the book to tare it out, makes it easier to put it back in.... actually just fallow the book in backwards and all should be ok...

TIP on TRANNY that you wont get in the book : the release shaft can be greatly improved while you got the tranny off.... just pull on the arm outside the tranny and regrease the bushing on the bottom and put some grease on the portion of the shaft outside the tranny before pushing it back in... it will give you the brand spanking new bushing feeling and probably will save a clutch cable in the long run.... About the spring, yes its a pain in the ass but you got to put it back... if i remember correctly, a long nose pliyer is very helpful... didnt touch it in 2 years so i cant help you much more.... but for the rest on your the right path.

P.s If only the bugs had heaters i would buy one lolll ... very cold in winter up here ;)

·
B12 Enthusiast
844 Posts
One good trick I found for getting the axles back in the tranny easily was to put the tranny in neutral, and push in on the drive shaft as your turning the shaft and differential together with your hand. This seemed to make the little locking clips on the end of the driveshafts line up easier and pop right into place. :thumbup:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry I had to be an A** hole to get an awnser on this subject, but I guess it worked? This little car has run great from the day my wife bought it new. Still needs a heater core and muffler but after 140,00 it still seems like it will go a lot longer. I could do a clutch job and engine rebuild with less work then this clutch job on one of my bugs. I drive a 86 ranger in the good weather so the junk heaters are not a problem.

·
Registered
751 Posts
cncwhiz said:
Sorry I had to be an A** hole to get an awnser on this subject, but I guess it worked? This little car has run great from the day my wife bought it new. Still needs a heater core and muffler but after 140,00 it still seems like it will go a lot longer. I could do a clutch job and engine rebuild with less work then this clutch job on one of my bugs. I drive a 86 ranger in the good weather so the junk heaters are not a problem.
Ya, decent little cars... Just took mine on a 600 mile road trip to Bend and skiied in the rain on Mt Bachelor. Averaged 38mpg. Then on Monday we got a 17" dump on Mt Hood. Guess where I spent all day Monday? :cheers:

Check to make sure your radiator is FULL. As I stated earlier, when my heater started crapping out, I added about 3 cups of water and it works fine again.

At 140k you need to think about a new timing belt. These things are pretty religious about their timing belts every 100k.. It's probly due for suspension too. This forum can help a lot as far as options and how to. But these have the simplest suspension I have ever worked on. Cept for bikes with no motor lol. And you want to keep momma safe.

I have owned a couple of bugs. Nice ride as long as you keep the valves adjusted, the oil clean and have gods help when it's time to change the plugs. Anymore I prefer the Durango for offroading. Changed out my Sentra clutch set in an afternoon with nothing but a floorjack and air tools. (air tools being key.)

Hope to see you around the forums more. Some day you may get tired of the baja and you can apply those valuable bug skills to the Sentra. :cheers:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the clutch replaced, did a brake job at the same time. Everything works good except one issue, I now have a small gear whine when the car is comming to a stop? Has anyone had this happen before? To the people thinking about doing a job like this a few things to know. Number one you won't be able to do this job without a comperssor. Go by the book and if you have not worked on cars much have a transmission shop do it. This was a "major" job. If you have all the correct tools and just do the clutch could be done in 6 to 8 hours of hard work. If you do it correctly ie clean all the wire connections and clean up everything that you removed then plan on a full weekend.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Did you replace or at least top off the oil? Chances are it spilled all over when you unplugged the axles. ahhh the memories....

·
Nissan Junkie
917 Posts
I did mine is 6 hours in a shop environment and yes top off the fluid actually drain out that nasty stuff that more than likely has never been changed and put in new. I had little problem with my clutch and tranny swap but I have a little experience in cars. glad to hear it is up and running treat her good and it should easily last another 100,000 miles also change the T-belt that is very important they will break on you. mine has been well to me and I get around 34 mpg combined and I drive like an asshole in the city so that is pretty good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts