Nissan Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working a 1991 Sentra and found the valve cover leaking. This is the first time I have seen a valve cover with screws in it. My question is, when I change the gasket is there anything I should inspect or change besides the valve cover gasket. I noticed in some of the other posts that yall talk about sparkplug o-ring and I believe around the distributer. What is the toqur spec and pattern for the valve cover.

Up to this point I have been strictly an American shade tree kind of gal!!
Thanks

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
91? screws? could haev sworn both ga16de and sr20de had lil nuts u must be outa country , regardless if u have either of the engines in the car that i just said there are individual o rings that go in the valve cover to seal the holes where the spark plug wires go through the top

·
Lurkshark........
318 Posts
Your valve cover set should come with spark plug tube seals, if it does'nt get some. When I pull off the valve cover and reinstall it I like to use some oem grey sealer from versichem (avaliable at any auto parts store) I put a very thin film over the cleaned surface on the head where the gasket touches, and a thin film where the spark plug tube meets the seal. Remember DO NOT overtighten the valve cover nuts. snug plus a 1/4 turn is all that is needed. I have reused the gasket on my civic 4 times doing it this way with zero leaks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Slacky said:
91? screws? could haev sworn both ga16de and sr20de had lil nuts u must be outa country , regardless if u have either of the engines in the car that i just said there are individual o rings that go in the valve cover to seal the holes where the spark plug wires go through the top
Not out of country! I am confused. Every thing I have ever seen on a vale cover has been nuts. Are the nuts a dealer item or can they be picked up in a parts store?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PeaNutB13 said:
Your valve cover set should come with spark plug tube seals, if it does'nt get some. When I pull off the valve cover and reinstall it I like to use some oem grey sealer from versichem (avaliable at any auto parts store) I put a very thin film over the cleaned surface on the head where the gasket touches, and a thin film where the spark plug tube meets the seal. Remember DO NOT overtighten the valve cover nuts. snug plus a 1/4 turn is all that is needed. I have reused the gasket on my civic 4 times doing it this way with zero leaks.
Have you ever seen a vavle cover with scews in it. That is waht this one has.
It has little rubber gromets so it looks like it is a fit. I snugged them with a screw driver. I don't have much faith in them staying tight though.

·
Registered
126 Posts
hookerp said:
Have you ever seen a vavle cover with scews in it. That is waht this one has.
It has little rubber gromets so it looks like it is a fit. I snugged them with a screw driver. I don't have much faith in them staying tight though.

my valve cover uses screws also.

theres the valve cover gasket, spark plug O rings and also some other gasket im trying to find called rubber rocker something..not sure

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ifoam said:
my valve cover uses screws also.

theres the valve cover gasket, spark plug O rings and also some other gasket im trying to find called rubber rocker something..not sure
Do you have problem with the screws coming unscrewed and the valve cover leaking?

·
Registered
84 Posts
PeaNutB13 said:
Hah that works rather well actucally, I did that in the pony (even left a nice bead all teh way around, matched the engine highlights) and it came out really good. NO leaks at all!!

the pony uses 2 screws... the nissan I haven't really looked (or cared) but from what I can recall it is bolts... and lots of 'em!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ifoam said:
nope they stay pretty tight, make sure you replace the grommets that come with the vc gasket. those are the plastic fittings that go around the screw.
I have a question about the plastic fitting that goes around the screws. I have pulled the cover and done all of the clean up. When I went to put it back together, I noticed that the plastic fittings are thicker and smaller in diameter.

Do they squash or crush as you tighten the screws are you think it is the wrong size? I know thw cover gasket is right. I fit it into the cover.

Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.