Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working a 1991 Sentra and found the valve cover leaking. This is the first time I have seen a valve cover with screws in it. My question is, when I change the gasket is there anything I should inspect or change besides the valve cover gasket. I noticed in some of the other posts that yall talk about sparkplug o-ring and I believe around the distributer. What is the toqur spec and pattern for the valve cover.

Up to this point I have been strictly an American shade tree kind of gal!!
Thanks

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
91? screws? could haev sworn both ga16de and sr20de had lil nuts u must be outa country , regardless if u have either of the engines in the car that i just said there are individual o rings that go in the valve cover to seal the holes where the spark plug wires go through the top

·
Lurkshark........
163 Posts
Your valve cover set should come with spark plug tube seals, if it does'nt get some. When I pull off the valve cover and reinstall it I like to use some oem grey sealer from versichem (avaliable at any auto parts store) I put a very thin film over the cleaned surface on the head where the gasket touches, and a thin film where the spark plug tube meets the seal. Remember DO NOT overtighten the valve cover nuts. snug plus a 1/4 turn is all that is needed. I have reused the gasket on my civic 4 times doing it this way with zero leaks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Slacky said:
91? screws? could haev sworn both ga16de and sr20de had lil nuts u must be outa country , regardless if u have either of the engines in the car that i just said there are individual o rings that go in the valve cover to seal the holes where the spark plug wires go through the top
Not out of country! I am confused. Every thing I have ever seen on a vale cover has been nuts. Are the nuts a dealer item or can they be picked up in a parts store?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PeaNutB13 said:
Your valve cover set should come with spark plug tube seals, if it does'nt get some. When I pull off the valve cover and reinstall it I like to use some oem grey sealer from versichem (avaliable at any auto parts store) I put a very thin film over the cleaned surface on the head where the gasket touches, and a thin film where the spark plug tube meets the seal. Remember DO NOT overtighten the valve cover nuts. snug plus a 1/4 turn is all that is needed. I have reused the gasket on my civic 4 times doing it this way with zero leaks.
Have you ever seen a vavle cover with scews in it. That is waht this one has.
It has little rubber gromets so it looks like it is a fit. I snugged them with a screw driver. I don't have much faith in them staying tight though.

·
Registered
116 Posts
hookerp said:
Have you ever seen a vavle cover with scews in it. That is waht this one has.
It has little rubber gromets so it looks like it is a fit. I snugged them with a screw driver. I don't have much faith in them staying tight though.

my valve cover uses screws also.

theres the valve cover gasket, spark plug O rings and also some other gasket im trying to find called rubber rocker something..not sure

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ifoam said:
my valve cover uses screws also.

theres the valve cover gasket, spark plug O rings and also some other gasket im trying to find called rubber rocker something..not sure
Do you have problem with the screws coming unscrewed and the valve cover leaking?

·
Lurkshark........
163 Posts
It sounds like you are describing the valve cover grommets. Some times a little bit of the OEM grey on the threads of the valve cover bolts will hold them still in the head.

·
Registered
116 Posts
hookerp said:
Do you have problem with the screws coming unscrewed and the valve cover leaking?
nope they stay pretty tight, make sure you replace the grommets that come with the vc gasket. those are the plastic fittings that go around the screw.

·
Registered
81 Posts
PeaNutB13 said:
Hah that works rather well actucally, I did that in the pony (even left a nice bead all teh way around, matched the engine highlights) and it came out really good. NO leaks at all!!

the pony uses 2 screws... the nissan I haven't really looked (or cared) but from what I can recall it is bolts... and lots of 'em!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ifoam said:
nope they stay pretty tight, make sure you replace the grommets that come with the vc gasket. those are the plastic fittings that go around the screw.
I have a question about the plastic fitting that goes around the screws. I have pulled the cover and done all of the clean up. When I went to put it back together, I noticed that the plastic fittings are thicker and smaller in diameter.

Do they squash or crush as you tighten the screws are you think it is the wrong size? I know thw cover gasket is right. I fit it into the cover.

Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts