Nissan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a '93 Z TT. The Previous owner has had it parked for 3 years because the knock sensor went out. He drained the gas tank shortly before I took delivery. I've just got it ready to go (replaced hoses, and batt). It won't start, it cranks but I don't think it's getting fuel.

I removed the fuel filter to see if it would pump fuel out of the fuel line, into a cup. and didn't get anything, not even air. I cannot find a fuse for the fuel pump, but checked all the fuses, and they check out OK.

What am I missing?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Fofgrel

:newbie:

·
Power FC Z32
2,147 Posts
Fuse for the fuel pump is located in the drivers side kick panel. Do you hear the fuel pump turn on when you put the key on the ON position?

·
Power FC Z32
2,147 Posts
The buzz noise should be coming from the rear of the car. Also get a Fuel pressure gauge to see if your hitting ~34 psi?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is coming from the back. I will get a gauge. I also let it pump for 10 min last night and never got anywhere. Also replaced the fuel filter just for kicks.

Is it possible that old fuel has clogged the fuel lines? If so, I may disconnect the filter and the pump and try and blow the lines out, is there anything between the pump and filter that could be damaged by ths?

·
Power FC Z32
2,147 Posts
Since you said the car has been sitting for 3 years it might have a good chance of rust in the fuel tank or lines and why no fuel is being sent to the engine.

Try draining the fuel from the fuel tank (9 -10MM nuts by exhaust) and look for rust in the fuel.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
took fuel pump out, no pressure in line, but I do here it hum when I turn the ignition on. There is rust settled in the tank, but the gas looks clear. I think I will try and clean the pump before I buy a new one, tell if you think that is a bad idea, or if you think something else could be wrong.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that's probably not a bad idea. with gas prices, I think I'll wait until I burn through what's in there first though.

Thanks again for your help, I'll post an update when my fuel pump gets here.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, I replaced the fuel pump and fuel is now going to the motor. It, still, will crank but not start. I've not checked the spark plugs yet, but I will. What else should I check?

thank you.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I replaced the sparkplugs, and checked ignition, I've got fire. When I put the coil pack back in one of the cylinders, I forgot to put the plug back in and I tried to start the motor. Still wouldn't start. took the coil back out to put the plug in, I expected for it to have some gas on it, it didn't. So I started thinking injectors, put an ohm meter to 2 of them, one initially read "infinite" but I got it to read 22.5 after playing with it for awhile, I couldn't get any reading off the other. So I'm thinking fuel injectors. I'm about out of money and in a hurry to get back on the road.

Is there something else, I can check? Can I possibly clean the injectors, instead of replacing them? Courtesy parts has new injectors for $163 a piece, that's about $1,000 for all six, is there a cheaper place to get them.

Thanks for you help

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Power FC Z32
2,147 Posts
Update:

Found some from a manufacture called "CVU" online for $35 a piece here

Car Part Wholesale - Auto Parts and Accessories Catalog - 1993 Nissan 300ZX Fuel Injector

Do you think I can trust these? (not for racing, right now I just need transportation)

Or is that too cheap? They have some other models on that site, the ones mentioned are the cheapest.
The only real problem I see is that in 1995 they changed the injectors to pintle-less style injector which has a different spray pattern then the 90-94 pintle style injectors. Make sure you get the correct year injector for your car. Also I would stay with OEM if you want a headach free problem with injectors.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
PTU or Crank sensor

I actually just had a recent problem just like yours, fought it for a long time. If you crank position sensor goes out it no longer sends the signal for ignition or fuel. It controls your timing basically. I'm going out on a limb here, but your problem does sound similar to mine, see if the sensor is outputting signal. I don't belive the PTU is the issue, but I mention it because it is a weak spot on these cars, but it controls ignition spark only, so if your still not firing injectors it seems like the crank sensor. (The sensor on the end of the driver's side camshaft sticking out of the timing cover.) Let me know if this was any help!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
crank sensor?

I check that. Still haven't got new injectors. If they weren't bad before they are now, I cracked them getting them out. thx for you help.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
UPDATE:

Got new injectors in. Got it to start, won't work under load yet. While putting it back together I lost the bolts to the EGR pipes, I think it will run great after I bolt the EGR pipes back up to the plenum and put new gas in it. BTW, if anyone knows a trick to make putting the EGR bolts in easier, that would help a lot.

Thank you again for all of your help.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts