Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boyfriend and I took out my stock CD player in my 98 nissan maxima. The stereo I am putting in was from my old car. Its a SONY, and I bought it while I had the old car. The stereo has been waiting 2 years now to be put in this car. I am on spring break and have been working on and off all week to get it installed, but need it done by Sunday night since I go back to college monday morning (going to be a long 3.5 hour drive with no tunes).

Here is what I have tried to do: I got the new wire harness to hook up the stereo. Plugged everything in... Power antenna went up before the car was even turned on, or turned over so there was power (not suppose to turn on till the car is on, and on the AM/FM setting). That was the only thing, once the car was on, CD player did not get any power.

So, I waited, till my boyfriend left, and kept tinkering... saw something that was not plugged in, found a slot it fit in, plugged it in, the CD player made a noise like it finally had the power supply. plugged everything else in. This time, power antenna did not come up with the car off. Turn the car just so everything had power (not fully running)... cd had power. put a CD in, no sound, and everything was connected, CD player volume was up. I thought it was because the car wasn't on. turn the car on, hear a bzz, or pfft and saw a tiny puff of smoke, turned everything off and unhooked it. did not see the source of the smoke.

now someone tell me what I am doing wrong, because I have done stereos in 3 different cars, I come to this one and this happens. I know I need to get another cord tomorrow, for the antenna, because the black cord inside the car with the 2 prongs on it needs a converter to fit my deck.

deck does not have directions with it, due to it being not brand new.

going to work on it again sunday, but its my last straw, if someone can get back to me ASAP that would be wonderful

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
If you can give us the model number we MIGHT can help you out. You might have a grounding issue. My sisters radio did the same thing...it would come on but no tunes. I messed with the ground on the harness and I got a spit and poppin of tunes. Then the next day it just wouldnt work anymore. From what I read...the cause of the smoke is that something is not wired right or something. I dont know what you have hooked up wrong. But like I said, if you can get us the model number, we can get you the wiring diagram for it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts