Nissan Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from snow country Idaho,
Just purchased an '87 sentra (carburetor, automatic), for a short commuter, not exactly what I wanted but, got sucked in by need and promises of great gas mileage. The problem is that the gas mileage is terrible! Barely 20mpg. I tuned the car up immediately (except for the pcv valve, can't get to it yet) but to no avail.
I know I need a muffler (and perhaps catalytic converter?) but could that warp my mileage so much? My quandry, besides having no money and no time, is what should I have a "qualified" mechanic tackle first - the exhaust system or have a look at the carburetor? There are 122,000 miles on it. No history but extremely clean. It runs fine aside from the gas mileage and the quirky start ups - great cold starts, but I must hold gas pedal to floor for a rough start after it is warm. It barely catches.
Also there seems to be a lot of carbon build up on muffler and old plugs. Any help?

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
i know nothing of carbs. but i do know that if they are not tuned correctly they get terrible mpg. (whe you do get a new exhaust might as well get performance :thumbup: ) welcome!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.