Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got got a 05 spec-v on saturday. i have been a die-hard honda man for many years. but the affordable option with honda have gone downhill. dont get me wrong there very reliable. but anyways. i find that there are not very many performance options(ex.nismo,aem,hotshots) for the spec-v. there all pretty expensive for an inexpensive car.
what is recommened for a break-in period for the qr25. right now im at 400 miles. i really want to see what this car has to offer on go-power.
i need to no what exhaust options i have that would be fairly legal for emmisions. i understand that there is 2 cats on this car. what can i get away with as far as taking off without screwin things up(limp mode,ETC).
another question i have is does the 02-03 bumper fit on the 05? i like the jdm style that comes on the older spec-v.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Search around; there's a lot of good information here and at www.b15sentra.net.
Bolt-ons are pretty expensive. Budget $200 for an intake, $350 for a header (which will remove your pre-cat, leaving you with just one) and $400-$600 for a good exhaust. So there's a grand right there just to get your engine breathing right (and probably 12-15 whp in gains). If you are looking for serious power you should seriously consider an aftermarket turbo kit, of which there are a couple out there (www.powertechimports.com).

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
power isn't cheap.

the parts aren't expensive either. They're right a competitive cost where the company can still make a profit.

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
honda9369 said:
i just got got a 05 spec-v on saturday. i have been a die-hard honda man for many years. but the affordable option with honda have gone downhill. dont get me wrong there very reliable. but anyways. i find that there are not very many performance options(ex.nismo,aem,hotshots) for the spec-v. there all pretty expensive for an inexpensive car.
what is recommened for a break-in period for the qr25. right now im at 400 miles. i really want to see what this car has to offer on go-power.
i need to no what exhaust options i have that would be fairly legal for emmisions. i understand that there is 2 cats on this car. what can i get away with as far as taking off without screwin things up(limp mode,ETC).
another question i have is does the 02-03 bumper fit on the 05? i like the jdm style that comes on the older spec-v.
http://www.nissanforums.com/showthread.php?t=84067
The parts arent very expensive at all.
An 02-03 will fit only if you change hood and headlights.
Break in for least 1000 easy, change oil preferably at 1000 with dino or wait till 3500 +/- a few to switch to syn.
You cant just pop the cats off. You can get an aftermarket header and downpipe that will eliminate both. Without a sim, you will throw a CEL but otherwise have no problems.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i asume that there r 2 o2 sensors. like on a honda if u remove the primary o2 it will go into limp mode. and secondary with no effect on limp mode but will throw cel. im just weughing my options and im hopeing to get good used intake(nismo) and header. (hotshots) i cant afford new but i want what works the best :thumbup:

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
As far as header choice, I would go NISMO, AEBS (if you can find one), or maybe even DC. HotShot's header for our car is not made all that well...it does not reflect the ability of HotShot whatsoever. Why this is, I am not sure but I have heard and seen multiple problems that were enough to sway me from buying.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so has any1 had experience with the obx cai. im just wondering. i have had decent results with obx exhaust and header. but have not with the obx cai. anyone?

·
PB JELLY TIME!
1,484 Posts
honda9369 said:
so has any1 had experience with the obx cai. im just wondering. i have had decent results with obx exhaust and header. but have not with the obx cai. anyone?
its not an OBX from ebay is it? Dont go cheap man, if youre gonna spend less and not get the nimso, atleast go for injen or AEM at the cheapest level. Unless you want a warm air intake or pop charger.

It takes a lot more than hood, lights, grill, bumper to make the 02/03 front fit on the 05, and it gets pretty expensive with all the little things you have to buy.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well new aem/injen on ebay is still alittle over 200 shipped. id like to find a used aem/injen/or better yet nismo cai. got one? damn it sucks that 02-03 is not interchangable with 05.i was hopin to get used everything for my car

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh does anyone have a schematic of the exhaust from mani to muffler incuding where o2/cats etc r located. i havent looked under my car yet. no garage. damn snow :thumbdwn:

·
PB JELLY TIME!
1,484 Posts
honda9369 said:
well new aem/injen on ebay is still alittle over 200 shipped. id like to find a used aem/injen/or better yet nismo cai. got one? damn it sucks that 02-03 is not interchangable with 05.i was hopin to get used everything for my car

Uhm, they are interchangable, its the same engine. You want cheap performance? Uhm, yeah. You get what you pay for.

On an 05, header (with o2 sensor), downpipe (with o2 sensor in front of cat), exhaust-muffler.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Check out the GroupBuys section of this site. There has been an ongoing liquidation of Place Racing cold air intakes for $129, which is an excellent price for a quality intake. You'll have to inquire whether they have any remaining for the Spec. You can save some $ by buying a used header--the Hotshots typically go for $250/sometimes less used and you won't be able to tell a slightly used header from new as far as performance is concerned. That's what I have and am pretty happy with it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i need to no what o2 sensor is primary and secondary like on a honda if u unplug the primary the ecu goes into limp mode resulting in running rich and slight loss of power. should i assume its like a honda. i was looking at n-1 cat back for the sentra. not bad looking. but no resonator. 240 shipped. group buy? i gotta check that out,hotshot cai for 139?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh and i meant interchangable as far as body parts

·
PB JELLY TIME!
1,484 Posts
Sideskirts, fenders, and trunk are interchangable. You can also fit 02/03 lights, but youd have a teensy bit of work coupled with that.

There is an SS autochrome header, its 160 shipped, will be back in stock in about 10 days. Best header for the price.

http://forums.thevboard.com/viewtopic.php?t=34148

I dont know about limp mode, but I didnt have my second o2 connected (on the downpipe) and nothing happend.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
um, i wont get into how much i hate ssautocrome. id get a obx over them anyday. but! that website u gave me is what ive been lookin for, :cheers: thank you. i didnt realize there where sims for this cars o2. where and how much?

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
I am not going to go into it but for CAI, avoid Injen. HotShot, NISMO, AEM and Place Racing (supposedly) make a good product. SS Autochrome is reviewed highly by many people...IMO they are not a good company and their other products have fallen apart.

·