Nissan Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just purchased a 1997 nissan sentra with a 1.6l i am wondering if i replace my head do i have to put the same head from that same kinda motor on it or is there other heads that will bolt right upto it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does it matter y i need to replace the head my question is do i have to put a head from a GA16DE back onto it or could i use the 2.0 liter head on it or any other head other then the ga16de

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,240 Posts
Has to be a GA16DE don't know if earlier GA16e or 16i will fit....
Why do you need a new head?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nope just wondering if it is as nice and universal as my integra is when it comes to replaceing and rebuilding parts and i can see it now it is going to be a pain in my ass

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Same as any other car, head will only work within an engine family. (this is also true of Honda's as you know)
there are a lot of GA16De's out there on 200Sx's and Sentra's.
the Engines seem to last 200k plus if taken care of with maybe an upper chain tensioner needed around 150 to 200 k miles.
and the front crank seal for $6.61 anytime after 70k miles if you are unlucky, some have gone 220k without it leaking though...

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Well i guess you could put a GA14DE or GA15DE but these were not imported into the USA as far as i know, but why would you ? Low mileage GA16DE's are quite in-expensive.
the 2.0 motor is a different series, SR16, SR18, SR20DE (USA) and VE and DET

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well not to be a prick or nothing but i am glad i bought it to sell to my step dad cause there is like 10 diffrent head i can put on my b18b1 and have it run np thx for your input all have a nice day

·
Registered
505 Posts
does it matter y i need to replace the head my question is do i have to put a head from a GA16DE back onto it or could i use the 2.0 liter head on it or any other head other then the ga16de
It does matter. Reason's help with the answer you need. Replacing because it's bad, or trying to get more HP? a high performance head will give you 20HP if you're lucky or less.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
well not to be a prick or nothing but i am glad i bought it to sell to my step dad cause there is like 10 diffrent head i can put on my b18b1 and have it run np thx for your input all have a nice day
Well my only reply to that is the GA16 is well designed and tubo engines are making up to 250bwhp on the Stock bottom end, and only minor port smoothing on the top end.
This is not like a Honda where the head changes design with the economy version through the top end of the range. The early 91 - 94 were lower HP than the 95-99 and this increase was the result of minor intake changes. (and maybe head ports not sure)

The engine has intake valve timing, and DOHC even on the cheapest car in the range.

The Nissan equivalent to the VTEC is the VE that's on the SR16VE and SR20VE and SR20VET

These were not imported into the USA but they are being imported as used JDM and put in the SR powered cars.

To play with VE NEO engines (and heads on the USA SR20DE) you need an SR powered car !!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hmm, the nearest bridge is only 2 feet off the ground. :( And I don't mean to sound offensive with this, but you did come to us hoping that the forum could answer the question.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.