Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '03 Pathy Chilkoot, currently on 255/65/R16 106S tires.

I'm shopping around for winter tires (like to plan ahead!) and found a great deal on 235/75/R15 105S tires. I'll be putting these on new rims (obviously).

1) The load index of the new tires is lower than the OE specs, 105S vs. 106S. That equates to 8156lbs vs 8376lbs of load @ 112mph. Is this OK? Also consider these will be used in a Canadian winter, not in hot summer driving.

2) How will the 15" rims affect driving? The new tires have a higher sidewall, making the overall diameter essentially the same (0.6% difference).

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't think the 200lbs difference is all that much. Are you going to be towing your boat in the winter? What about snowmachines?

Your pathfinder is what 4200lbs...and do you plan to drive at 100mph+ in the winter?????

The 15s shouldn't make too much of a difference. The taller sidewall may give the feeling of "rolling over on the sidewall" more, but again, how aggressive will you drive your PF in the winter.

The taller sidwall may help with the occassional buried curb. If the 15s clear the calipers, I'm not sure if you will even feel a difference, which will be minimal.

Don't drive like an a^s and you'll do fine.

·
Registered
165 Posts
will the 15" rims fit your machine? i know with some rims at least fitment is an issue with clearing the discs and drums(if equipped)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya, I've heard some people with the 00-04 Pathy have had problems getting 15" steelies to fit. A couple have found some alloy rims, but they had to be just the right ones to fit.

I'll probably end up going stock size, just have to wait a bit for a deal to appear in something that's 16" or 17". The guy I'm looking at has 255/65/R16 Hakka 5's for 190 + 25 shipping, which is a pretty good deal in itself. He has Hakkas on eBay too, going for almost half that price, and he seems to rotate sizes in and out.

I still have four months 'til winter, I can wait a bit. :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts