Nissan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
A Passerby
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that these "funny sound" questions are pretty ambigious, but I hope you guys can give some good advice about what I can check before blowing $100+ at a mechanic.

Anyway, for the past few weeks, I've noticed a very vague rotational sound coming from somewhere in the front passenger side of my car. The best way I can discribe it is that it sounds like a distant airplane propeller engine. (vvvvvhhhhhhuuuu) The sound seems to be associated with the speed of the car, and not the speed of the engine rotating. The tires are in pretty good shape, and they are inflated to the proper pressure. I tired a few hard turns on my street to see if perhaps I could get some screechs from the bearings, but had no luck. I'm stumped and just about ready to take it in to the shop. Are there any ideas on what it might be?

Thanks in advance,
-K

·
even better the 2nd time
2,719 Posts
does it go away when you apply the brakes?
is it a constant noise/humming? or does it have an interval?
does it get worse/better at high or low speed?

·
A Passerby
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It doesn't go away when I apply the brakes, and it's constantly humming while the car is in motion. (The faster I am going, the louder the sound.) It only completely goes away when I'm at a complete stop.

·
My ass, your face
3,520 Posts
wheel bearings....one way to check, is to jack the car up. once its jacked up, go to the wheel and move the wheel back and forth. if it moves...uve got bad bearings/tie rods

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sounds like wheel bearings to me, small chance it could be the squealer tab on the brake pad, but it should be quiet when you apply the brake, so it's probably not that.

It's not a fun job to do, you'll need a press, a ball joint and tie rod seperator and a BFH for knocking the old one out. Figure 4-8 hours if you do it yourself and you haven't done it before.

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
there are 2 things it can be: Something's rubbing on the rotor, or it's the bearing.

If it's the brakes, the sound will often change when you apply or let off the brakes. Of course the best way to tell is jus looking at the rotor. If there's a nice deep groove on the inner or outer surface of the rotor, it's either something on the pad or it's a clip that got in the way. I just had this happen to me on my rear rotor and it an ugly sight when you see a deep groove engraved into the rotor.

As for the bearing, it's not too easy to tell, sometimes. The only way you can really check is like AJ said. Lift the wheel off the ground and see if the wheel is able to 'wobble'. The only moton the wheel should do is turn, if it's wobbling, tho, the bearing is shot, and possibly the hub.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts