Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 89 Sedan for 3 years now after it was given to me. I have put over 50,000 miles on it and have had to replace the transmission, brakes, shocks and struts, alternator, battery, and windshield. The transmission was bought from a guy in Houston who imports used parts from Japan. Having lived in Japan for three years, I know they don't put many miles on cars and don't keep em very long like we do here. Anyway, after my friend installed the transmission for me over a year ago, I noticed right away it would stick in first gear and rev the engine up pretty high before shifting. I almost couldn't pass inspection. It is not as bad anymore but it still revs up higher than I would like. Anyone have any suggestions on what the problem could be?

·
Registered
77 Posts
uhh.....i bet its a/t.....does it hardshift into second?.....also.......the more the accelerator pedal is pushed in.....the higher it'll rev until it shifts....and the longer it'll take also......but i'm sure u know that already? :thumbup: :fluffy:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is an automatic. Whoever thought that a 3 speed auto was a good idea needs to be flogged. Is it that hard to put a 4 speed auto in those things? Anyway, the problem of the high revving in first is more pronounced when the car is not fully warmed up. Also, when it downshifts by itself when I need more power to pass, the acceleration sucks.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
shift linkage is most likely sticking find it and spray the crud off with a disolvent and follow up with some wd40 or something, other that that im unsure

·
Nissan Junkie
917 Posts
check your vacuum lines if they are installed wrong the tranny will not shift properly. I do not believe there are any computer controls on these so check the fluid check the vacuum lines and check the linkage if those do not fix it it is a hard problem with the tranny that will need further diagnostics.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts