Nissan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i am a new owner of a 1997 pathfinder. Red, automatic and full equiped.
I am totaly ignorant to theses vehicles.

I have several questions, i searched but returned info is a bit sparse.

Is there any prefix designation for theses vehicles or engine so when i search on the net it wont return me the pathfinder satellite all the time ?

I am used to BMW world, where when you type in E36 it returns you anything you need for theses from 91 to 99...

Where is the cork in the powertrain on this vehicle?
3.3L with 168 hp seems to me on the down side. the exhaust seems to muffler it all good, probably too much ?

Is there a way to read ecu codes on theses, the CEL is set in it.

Could it be possible that it has a LSD in the rear ?
And what about the front hubs, are they automatic or engaged all the time ?

What are the common performance mods for better gas mileage, if there is any ?

thanks a lot.

·
Registered
422 Posts
first of all, welcome to the board and i hope you are enjoying your pathfinder. to answer your questions:

1. Your pathfinder, like mine and every other pathfinder from 96-04 is an R50.

2. There is no cork in the powertrain as long as regular maintenance is performed. The only flaw to the 3.3L is really the fact that you have a timing belt that needs to be changed, otherwise all of your components can easily handle the power.

3. Yes the engine is down on power, but it has plenty of low end torque to get you off the line. The only available accessories for the engine that are bolt on are: ram air intakes, drop in filters, and throttle body spacers. You can get the exhaust replaced but you will lose some torque with larger exhaust. I will be deleting the resonator on my system to get a little more flow and power. On a 3.3l the resonator is the piece right before the tailpipe which looks like a second muffler.

3.The CEL can be checked at any local auto store or if you have an OBDII scanner.

4. Some R50 models have LSD (mine included). Jack up the rear, engage the parking brake slightly and put the tranny in neutral. Then spin one of the tires by hand, if the other tire spins the same direction you have LSD. Usually Nissan marks their LSD's with an orange sticker that says "LSD oil only" but some wear off.

5. You have drive flanges in the front so the front driveline is always engaged. You can get manual hubs from Mille Marker or Warn.

6. As far as performance I went over pretty much all the available parts. For mileage concerns I would get manual hubs first, I saw up to 2mpg gain on the highway.

If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask

Mike

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mike, thanks very much for all the info.

I probably wont keep it forever, as the mpg realy kills me. i got a bimmer that does 30mpg easy, the point is that it will be my winter beater.

I may sell it next spring, who knows, just of the sake of making a nice profit out of it...:lame:

thanks again !

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have a question regarding the brakes.

the pedal is very low, no matter how i bleed it and how the rear shoes are adjusted.

is there something special to do ?

the rear adjusters work like new and the shoes are real tight/close against the drums so the problem is not there...

the proportioning valve above the diff is stuck in the "full load" position and the lever is missing...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ah, ok....i also noticed that the 4x4 light in the dash dont light up when i put the 4x4 on, i confirm that it works and i changed the light bulb in the dash so there is something wrong...

i have the haynes on demand at my job so i will look at the wiring diagram.
I looked under and there is no visible switch next the the 2H-4H-N-4L lever...

any idea ?

·
Registered
422 Posts
I know there is a switch somewhere in there as someone on the other forum had this same problem...definitely consult the haynes manual for that problem, i know my old SUV had a plug that plugged directly into the tcase and a switch inside the tcase controlled the light but I haven't checked into that on my pathfinder since my light works

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, i am just back form under the truck, its the switch for sure, or something mechanicaly wrong that dont push on the plunger of the switch.

the circuit is kinda complex, it is mux'ed with the ATP feature, which i dont understand its function. There is a relay under the hood and two sensors just for that !!!
i wonder how much just the switch cost...

thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cool, thanks.

i took out the 4x4 indicator switch and it is all bubled and rusted, totaly inop.

ill just go buy a new one..

thanks !!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts