Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I purchased a 2003 Frontier for my daily driver. Nothing special, just a 5 speed 4 cyc with an extended cab. Something to get me to work!:)

The truck has 45K miles on it and I can tell the original owner never did anything beside oil changes and filled it up with gas. So my question is, at this point what things would you suggest I replace?

I was thinking plugs and wires, distrubtor cap and the air filter? Any thing else?

The oringal owner was to say the least, a very dirty person who never took care of the interior/exterior. I spent 2.5 hours yesterday just cleaning and waxing and shampooing and vacuuming this truck. You would think it was 10 years old looking at it. She looks much better now.

For the heck of it I was planning on putting in a better stero and maybe some different wheels. Is there a "For Sale" section here or can someone recommend a place for me to buy parts used?

Thanks,
:newbie:

·
Registered
485 Posts
Certainly change the air filter if it needs it. However, at 45k, I can't imagine that the plugs, wires, and distributor would need to be changed out. Perhaps the plugs, but that's questionable at best.

Inspect all the fluids and see how they look. It might be a good idea to flush the radiator and change out the coolant. Brake pads are another item to check -- especially if you think the last guy abused the truck.

If you want a better sounding stereo, the first thing I'd recommend changing is the speakers. The stock ones are junk.

Here's the For Sale section...
http://www.nissanforums.com/classifieds/index.php

Welcome to the boards!

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'd change the air filter and fuel filter (the fuel filter is under the truck so I bet it's never been changed). You might use a K&N air filter for a tad more power but be careful of oil fouling the mass air flow sensor. The plugs, wires, and cap are good for over 80,000 miles typically. I agree with msubullyfan that you should flush the radiator, change the coolant, and inspect the brakes. How are the tires (my original equipment tires were done at 60,000 miles)? The nice thing about these trucks is that they are essentially trouble and maintenance free for the first 70,000 to 80,000 miles (I've experienced EGR troubles around 75,000 miles and that seems to be a recurring theme on this forum).

·
Registered
515 Posts
Chad711 said:
How hard is it to change out the fuel filter? I'm some what mechincally savvy
It's not real difficult, it's just not fun. The filter is above the frame rail (right side if I remember correctly) held in a bracket. You basically remove the rubber fuel lines (held on with squeeze clamps) and the filter (I have to go look at the installation to remember how the bracket holds the filter in place). The hard part of the job can be disconnecting the hoses from the filter. They can be tight and the first line will spray gasoline when you remove it. You can minimize the fuel spray by relieving the fuel system pressure and wrapping a rag around the connection (you are still going to get wet). You relieve the fuel pressure by removing the fuel pump fuse (in the dashboard fuse box) and trying to start the engine. The engine may catch briefly and then it will stall.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the heads up bud. I'll change it out here soon. Sounds like an easy one!

Shifting gears here (no pun intended) hehe

The shift knob....I want to take it off and put an aftermarket one on for kicks. Does it screw off? Seems like it's pretty much on there to stay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts