Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Think outside "The Box"
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about modifying the pistons and making them oval.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
510Mods said:
How about modifying the pistons and making them oval.

........ why?

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
Please tell me your reasoning about making the pistons oval....

I gotta hear this shit.

·
Think outside "The Box"
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With round pistons, there is no extra force for the air to be sucked/forced into the motor, besides turbo/supercharging. With an oval piston, the force of the crank will use a larger surface area to seal the chamber. The pistons are more efficient to draw the air/fuel mix into the motor, like a straw. Thats all a motor is right, an air compressor with an internal power source??? The motor would be longer but skinny, so it could fit a datsun 300z with ease. What till you hear about my crankless motor and turbine injection. By the way, oval pistons were actually used in racing motorcycle engines.

·
Locked and Loaded
1,227 Posts
510Mods said:
With round pistons, there is no extra force for the air to be sucked/forced into the motor, besides turbo/supercharging. With an oval piston, the force of the crank will use a larger surface area to seal the chamber. The pistons are more efficient to draw the air/fuel mix into the motor, like a straw. Thats all a motor is right, an air compressor with an internal power source??? The motor would be longer but skinny, so it could fit a datsun 300z with ease. What till you hear about my crankless motor and turbine injection. By the way, oval pistons were actually used in racing motorcycle engines.
you need to get together with himile, im sure you could both make some interesting ideas.

·
Registered
23 Posts
510Mods said:
Isn't there a theorem stating that circles (not ovals) have the most surface area when given a certain amount of material, or most efficient use. Besides, circular pistons distrubute power evenly, it would be hard to balance oval pistons IMO. I think they were only used in motorcycle applications because there was only 1 (maybe 2?) pistons. I haven't heard of that though (I've been involved in motorcross racing) and I'm sure if they were extremly beneficial they would have been used in other cars, or at least high budgeted race teams were performance usually out-weighs functionialty (that a word?) and reliability. But very interesting idea and I would like to hear more about this crankless motor and turbine injection...I like this engineering shizznit, hopefully go to school for it and be designing your Nissans in 10 years.

·
In Ur Threadz - Deleting!
1,906 Posts
I am definitely NOT an expert in this area but wouldn't the oval design compromise some of the stability compared to a perfectly round shape?

·
Think outside "The Box"
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have this book "Building The Tesla Turbine", and combine theories for: crankless engine: "The engine is unusual. A piston slides in a casing between two combustion chambers. It vents in the center, and the exhaust gas is combined with water to produce steam, which adds to the thrust. This modified engine uses these fuels: acetylene, butane, nitromethane, propane, two-stroke oil (for lubrication), and filtered water (for doubling the thrust). " Really trippy stuff.

·
High times
394 Posts
Your more or less explaining how a jet engine works with water injection to cool/and add moisture the mixture for proper burning of the fuel....... If your going to have power to ANY kind of axle that provides power to wheels you'll need a crankshaft of some sort.... Um Kay Forrest....... ;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ride116 said:
Isn't there a theorem stating that circles (not ovals) have the most surface area when given a certain amount of material, or most efficient use.
Yes, circles have the greatest surface area for a given circumference. Thus in order to get the most surface area on the lightest piston, you need a circle.

·
Think outside "The Box"
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not all true, but close. They classify it as Turbine cause its a reaction of fluid. The free piston engine developes 200hp and the whole thing weighs 42lbs. Here's a few specs.

A turbine blade or impeller does not necessarily have to be metallic. It could be steel, wood, or plastic. In the case of this free-piston engine,the spinning impeller is gaseous, when the powerful gas exhaust reaches the special nozzle, it creates a vortex causing its gases to spin at high speed, which is similar to a modern turbine impeller. Its high-powered thrust is achieved because of the vortex phenomenon of spinning gases.

Dwntyme said:
Your more or less explaining how a jet engine works with water injection to cool/and add moisture the mixture for proper burning of the fuel....... If your going to have power to ANY kind of axle that provides power to wheels you'll need a crankshaft of some sort.... Um Kay Forrest....... ;)

Attachments

·
Think outside "The Box"
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also the water is not really needed. But when added to the "exhaust" it increases thrust efficiency, not combustion.

·
Destroyer of worlds.
874 Posts
oval eh? i like that, it would equalize the distance the gasses have to travel to get to the outer edge of the piston which would idealy make better power, very cool...but you'd probably need two tie rods to keep it balanced, and the machining costs would quadruple, circles are a lot easier to bore than ovals. i mean, unless you've got an oval cutting drill in mind too lol.

i'd like to see cars using heat engines, like submarines. that way, cars could be nuclear powered(or some other massive heat emmiting source) and they wouldn't pollute at all.

·
Think outside "The Box"
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you could use a post-reactive core amplifier. then we would have to manage a force field to hold the stray neutrino ions.

·
Destroyer of worlds.
874 Posts
i think we'll just go back to horse and buggy in the future, much more fuel efficient.

·
Think outside "The Box"
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Devolope an "engine" that runs off CO2 and CO waste, while creating water itself.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts