Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys been reading a lot on here. I have a few questions. Changing engines because my sentra SE-R 2.5 crapped the bed. I want to put an altima 2.5 in my car but was wondering if these have the same problem as the sentras? If i decide to replace it with a 1.8 from a sentra do i need to replace the Emc? Or do i need to replace that part regardless? I want to get rid of the Pre-cat andway so that's not even a question, but what do i want to replace that with? If anyone has replaced this engine and could help me out here it would make it easier on me, right. I am sure i have more questios but right now can't think of any. Just sick about replacing it and the cost. I have my eyes set on one with a 2002 with 55k for 1600. No core swap or shipping either. Let me know, thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Altimas 2.5s would more likely be less beaten on. Changing the engine to a 1.8 would involve much more than just the engine. Pretty much everything else has to transfer over.

I've got 82k on my SpecV and the only thing to be prematurely fail on me was the crank position sensor. Of course after getting a header and loctiting my butterfly screws. With regular maintenance included she's (my car) has been darn good to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Altimas 2.5s would more likely be less beaten on. Changing the engine to a 1.8 would involve much more than just the engine. Pretty much everything else has to transfer over.

I've got 82k on my SpecV and the only thing to be prematurely fail on me was the crank position sensor. Of course after getting a header and loctiting my butterfly screws. With regular maintenance included she's (my car) has been darn good to me.
So i guess my best option is the Altima 2.5 then? I want to remove the pre-cat as well. Why doesn't the Altima suffer the same fate as the Sentras 2.5?
Do you know of any good headers that i would use? If i remove the pre-cat will it make my car louder as well? Sucks bad, i took care of that car too, inside and out and this crap. 115k on her and all i ever did was a new muffler, brakes and oil changes every 3 months. Plus plugs and other tune up crap. I want to keep this car for atleast another 5 years, I guess with a new engine i'll have my wish.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
its the same engine, if the compression test is good, make sure the butterflys have been taken care of, put a header on it and you might want to add a free flow cat or a resonator to help keep the noise down and call it a day

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,279 Posts
All the 2.5's suffer from the Pre Cat, and any newer engine with a lot of valve over lap will suck up a disintegrating CAT.
Seems like all 2.5 and 3.5 's can also suffer from the butterfly screw swallowing trick....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi guys been reading a lot on here. I have a few questions. Changing engines because my sentra SE-R 2.5 crapped the bed. I want to put an altima 2.5 in my car but was wondering if these have the same problem as the sentras? If i decide to replace it with a 1.8 from a sentra do i need to replace the Emc? Or do i need to replace that part regardless? I want to get rid of the Pre-cat andway so that's not even a question, but what do i want to replace that with? If anyone has replaced this engine and could help me out here it would make it easier on me, right. I am sure i have more questios but right now can't think of any. Just sick about replacing it and the cost. I have my eyes set on one with a 2002 with 55k for 1600. No core swap or shipping either. Let me know, thanks for all your help.
I may have an extra 2.5, if its still good. I have a 2004 Spec-V, last year it sucked in a butterfly screw while under warranty, Nissan put in a RE-Man engine, all is good. About 20,000 miles later, engine starts making growling noise when revved to about 2500 in neutral and on deceleration, (now out of warranty) so we pulled it out. Put in a "good" used low mile engine, same noise, :wtf: ??? Anyone know what the answer is? Engine runs strong, pulls hard but has the same growling noise. Manifold, Cat, Water Pump??? I am just guessing at this point. HELP.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I may have an extra 2.5, if its still good. I have a 2004 Spec-V, last year it sucked in a butterfly screw while under warranty, Nissan put in a RE-Man engine, all is good. About 20,000 miles later, engine starts making growling noise when revved to about 2500 in neutral and on deceleration, (now out of warranty) so we pulled it out. Put in a "good" used low mile engine, same noise, :wtf: ??? Anyone know what the answer is? Engine runs strong, pulls hard but has the same growling noise. Manifold, Cat, Water Pump??? I am just guessing at this point. HELP.
good thing we have this place to help us out with all our questions. You guys are on top of it here.:wtf:
:thumbdwn:
:lame:

·
Super Moderator
1,065 Posts
Why dont you just buy a salvage 2.5L motor from that same car you have. If you swap in the 1.8 your going to need ecu, trans, clutch, wiring harness, probably lots of other things too. It would be pointless.

Buy another 2.5 from the same style car and just swap them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts