Nissan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. My wife and I just purchased a 2005 Pathfinder and immediately had the battery replaced. Right after installation a bunch of the lights on the dash turned on (traction, abs, low tire pressure etc.). I figured the computer would have to go through a re-learn phase so I wasn't alarmed. It's been about a week now and all the lights are still on. Is this normal? How long (if at all) should this last? Thanks a lot for looking!

·
Registered
310 Posts
After a battery replacement only the SLIP light should be on for a while until it "relearns" usually a few miles.

Check your grounds on the battery (tightness) and the fender wall.

Does the check engine light blink in a pattern?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After a battery replacement only the SLIP light should be on for a while until it "relearns" usually a few miles.

No the lights are just continuously on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Would it help if I listed exactly which lights are on?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
disconnect the battery for a minute and reconnect, see what happens.
Ok so it says in my manual that if the battery is removed or discharged that I have to perform the reset procedure to get the vcd and the slip light to go off. To find out what the reset procedure is I have to refer to the "Starting and driving" section of my manual. Guess what, the reset procedure is nowhere in that section. Does anyone know what the reset procedure is?

·
Registered
32 Posts
In the 2008 manual it is on page 5-33. It is in the starting and driving section under the heading of VDC.

It essentially says: Start the engine and point the steering wheel straight ahead. Drive at speeds over 10mph for over 10 minutes. The light should go out. If it doesn't, take it to the dealer.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In the 2008 manual it is on page 5-33. It is in the starting and driving section under the heading of VDC.

It essentially says: Start the engine and point the steering wheel straight ahead. Drive at speeds over 10mph for over 10 minutes. The light should go out. If it doesn't, take it to the dealer.

Good Luck.
So I need to drive straight for 10 minutes? Weird how it doesn't say anything about that in my manual.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The way its worded, I don't think you need to go straight for 10 minutes, just point the wheel straight after starting the engine.

You can view the 2006 owner's manual on thenissanpath web site in the 2005+ forum. I found the same wording on page 5-30 of that manual as in my 2008 manual.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The way its worded, I don't think you need to go straight for 10 minutes, just point the wheel straight after starting the engine.

You can view the 2006 owner's manual on thenissanpath web site in the 2005+ forum. I found the same wording on page 5-30 of that manual as in my 2008 manual.
Thanks for the help. I've done a lot of my own wrenching on my vehicles and thought driving it straight for 10 minutes was the strangest thing I had ever heard. So your basically saying just start the engine, point the wheel straight and let it sit there for 10 minutes? Thanks again!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so I just read the reset procedure and I have to say that makes no sense. They aren't detailed enough about what they want you to do. Do I point the wheel straight after starting the vehicle, let it sit for a second then drive it? Obviously I'm going to have to turn the wheel while driving so is that going to interrupt the procedure? Is stopping at a stop light going to interrupt the procedure? Basically they are saying point the wheel straight and go for a while that should fix it. That happens every day. I’m confused.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Ok so I just read the reset procedure and I have to say that makes no sense. They aren't detailed enough about what they want you to do. Do I point the wheel straight after starting the vehicle, let it sit for a second then drive it? Obviously I'm going to have to turn the wheel while driving so is that going to interrupt the procedure? Is stopping at a stop light going to interrupt the procedure? Basically they are saying point the wheel straight and go for a while that should fix it. That happens every day. I’m confused.
Place the rear axle on blocks or stands. Start the engine and simulate the procedure as if you're driving straight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi i'm a newbie here and i was checkin' out the forum and ran into this topic, i had a similar thing happened to me twice first time was cause i had it on the auto light setting went to the mall and tried to leave and battery was dead got a jump and the vdc was off, and had a 4x4 lights go on in the instrument panel, and i more light came on but i can't remember, but anyways started to drive home and i guess the ecu relearnt everything and went back to normal. Second time i was helping my bro move i guess we hadthe doors open for along time and samething, time to replace the battery, but good luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts