Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been lurking for over a month now and finally decided to register.

on june 26th i became the proud owner of a 2002 nissan se-r (auto) w/ the following options:

aztec red
audio fanatic package
abs/side airbags
leather seats w/ SE-R embroidered on them... but not the fugly Spec-V colors... they're dark grey/light grey.
Moonroof
etc.

i got it all at invoice for a grand total of 20,300 out the door (yes, including all taxes, etc.)

anyway... i have a couple of issues after driving it around nearly a month which i haven't seen mentioned here...

1) the ride is very harsh on uneven roads. i can feel every bump on the road. too bad when i went for a test drive it was all on newly paved roads. my previous car was an ES300, so maybe that's why i notice the extreme difference. *shrug*
2) the cupholders are in a horrible place. thankfully i don't have the in-dash disc changer, otherwise the sweat from my drinks would probably short it out.
3) mileage is passable, but i expected more. i have 1,100 miles on it and i'm getting about 270 miles per tank (~20.5mpg). hopefully this will increase over time.

otherwise, i think it's a pretty sharp car. honestly, i think the audio fanatic package is very good. it has good, solid response from the music i listen to (primarily electronica/gothic/industrial). it's loud enough *in* the car. i could care less if the cars around me hear it or not. after all, it's my music... not theirs. :)

the car is much quicker than i had expected. sure, probably not as nimble as the spec-v, but i don't race. it definitely does its job.

well, back to your regularly scheduled programming... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
871 Posts
all the SE-R's have a stiff sport suspension, with the Spec V being even stiffer. Coming from an es300 thats why you think its stiff. It is really pretty average for a sports car, i would say that the SE-R is probly not a car for the faint of heart. the suspension is designed for a sports car.

the cup holders are bad.

the gas milage gets better with age, my Spec V is slowly getting better. But mine is a 6 speed, your car is an automatic, which will hurt the gas milage. Getting 20.5 mph's in an automatic with a 2.5L engine, is pretty good for a performance car.

M

·
0 Posts
Congratulations on your Aztec Red!

I just got my Molten Silver on Jun 28. Same price and all features but no leather seats :( Perhaps later when I save enough; I've heard great things about those seats.

My car already has over 2000 miles on it - I took this out on the road immediately. Friends from San Jose came to visit, did a trip to Vancouver, Canada from Seattle. And plus I commute nearly 80 miles each day.

I don't recommend taking this car on long road trips - you will feel every bump! Especially potholes!

Happy Trails!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so you don't recommend long trips, huh?

i have one coming up... from chicago to new england (conn, mass, new hamp, vermont, maine) and back.

how bad will it be? :eek:

N

·
0 Posts
No long trips?

Hrm, I was planning on going from Portland, OR to Boise, ID or maybe Pocatello, ID (its a family thing) in order to break the car in real good. Is there some sort of period when I first get a car that I should take it easy on the engine as far as RPMs go (not that 6000 should be that hard on it). I figured I could make record time between here and Boise in a Spec V, especially if I get that new radar detector and maybe the new jammer thats supposed to be legal in a majority of states. Will have to post threads so you guys can read up on those.

Guess I will just have to buy a big pillow for my rear to stay a little extra cushioned with!

-------------------------------------
Here are the links:

Phazer II Radar Jammer-
http://www.technoscout.com/general/product/product.asp?product=185&Prod_Name=Phazer_II_Radar_Jammer&site=85781

Valentine 1 Radar Detector-
http://www.hondaswap.com/articles/index.php?id=25
(I know its at a Honda website, what blasphemy!)

M

·
0 Posts
I'm thinking this over - long road trips aren't that bad. My last road trip was with my whole family and I knew my parents weren't used to the sports suspension. I've gotten used to it real quick, so I don't mind it anymore. I'm sure the Spec V will take more getting used to.

For the first couple miles, I kept the SE-R at 60 mph. There was a slight smell of burning which is normal I hear. After about 1,200 miles, I began going into the 80's with ease. It's automatic, so I can't speak for rpms.

·
Registered
51 Posts
MAKE SURE YOU BREAK IN THAT ENGINE GOOD. DONT GO ANY MORE THAN 55 OR 60 AND DONT FLOOR IT OR NOTHING. YOU CAN GET A BAD BREAK IN BY DOING THAT AND THEN YOU'LL END UP LOSING HORSE POWER IN THE LONG ROAD AND ALSO MESS UP YOUR ENGINE. I BROKE IT IN FOR 1000 MILES BEFORE TROMPING ON THE GAS PEDAL.EVEN LINGER BEFORE I WENT OVER A HUNDRED. I KNOW IT SUCKS AND ITS TEMPTING BUT YA GOTTA DO WHATCHA GOTTA DO THOUGH.

B

·
0 Posts
Ive had my spec v since Feb 4.2002. It has 9700 miles on it. Long trips are not so bad on the car. i drove it down to florida from NY and i ran the A/C the whole way and the ride was pleasant. I only spent 75 dollars in gas each way. As for the ride , well i live in NY so you can imagine what i go thru. IN florida the roads are smooth, the car did get a little spoiled with the smooth roads in florida. Now we are in ny and she hates the rough roads.:D

·
Registered
172 Posts
i got mine in Feb 2002 went from a souped up 95 ford crown vic that turned 13.4 and felt like i was driving my couch down the street to the SE-R. so it took me a couple weeks to get used to it. my g/f swears mine rides better than her 98 accord EX ??:confused: but then she is not all about the performance. i drove it easy till it hit about 3K then i started opening it up (its gonna go or blow) little over 5K now no engine problems at all

C

·
0 Posts
Well, I got mine around Dec and I have almost 15K miles, I guess I drive a lot. The gas mileage changes. When I lived in a small town, a full tank was around 280-300 miles, I live in Houston now and it seems that 240-260 is what I get, but I have a 5spd.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts