Nissan Forum banner

New guy in Nissan town....can someone help

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Joel 
#1 ·
I have a 1991 Nissan 240sx...I love this car. My battery went dead and when me and my brother used the booster cables my brother reversed the the + with - and basically short something, and now my cars dead. The engine turns over but it looks like all the electronics in my dash don't work. I found a couple of blown fuses under the hood just behind the battery, and one under my dash. Has this ever happened to anybody? I wanna try to resolve the problem myself before taking it to a mechanic who's going to juice me...or am I fighting a losing battle.
Bye for now....

#2 ·
From my experience working in a car parts store that does regular battery work, you're lucky the car runs. We have something called bonehead insurance, you don't. You fried a lot of wires and blew a lot of fuses. Replace the fuses first, then start looking for charred wires. Next up you'll want to replace your alternator and voltage regulator. Let me put it this way, if it can carry an electrical current, it's probably f**ked up pretty good. A side question...Did your battery explode? They usually will in this situiation.

#3 ·
I don't know if nissan's have fuseable links, but I made this mistake long time ago on my first car (1970 dodge dart) and the fuseable link was the only thing I had to replace. I didn't blow any fuses (when the link blew no current could get to anything else)

#5 ·
bridrive55 said:
What do you mean, Nissan never made a 240SX hatchback? Because the 240SX is really just a 180SX? I don't get it, I have a 240 hatch.
No you have a 240sx FASTBACK.
Sorry if it's anel but it pisses me off. Hatchbacks are two door stationwagons that look like they have been rearended.

#6 ·
yes its anal and stupid. i have one too but if someone calls it a hatch, theyre right becuase no matter what the angle or length of the hatch, its still a hatch. nissan never made a 240 but do you get mad if somebody says it? no because its understood....like a nickname....hatchback is a generic name for the body style...not all hatchs are wagons...

#9 ·
yeah that too - basically a sharper angled 'hatch'. On my registration the vehicle description is simply 'sports coupe' with no mention of 'hatchback'. I owned a nissan pulsar hatch and that was classed as a 'hatch' on the rego.

Liftback is a term used by toyota for the early celicas - i think a few of them actually had 'liftback' badging.

#10 ·
Joel said:
yeah that too - basically a sharper angled 'hatch'. On my registration the vehicle description is simply 'sports coupe' with no mention of 'hatchback'. I owned a nissan pulsar hatch and that was classed as a 'hatch' on the rego.

Liftback is a term used by toyota for the early celicas - i think a few of them actually had 'liftback' badging.
Early Celica's rock. But they cancelled the liftback, like Nissan did with the 240... Why did all these good cars go to coupe styling?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.