Nissan Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts
in the meantime, i have the poorman's intake... i removed the lower portion of the airbox. just unclip it, as if you were gonna remove the filter, loosen the screws that clamp the airbox to the piping leading into the TB, so you can move or remove the upper portion. take out the 2 or 3 screws that hold in the lower half of the box, throw it away. (i keep it in the trunk) and reattatch the upper half. the filter might seem like its gonna fall off, so i just used string to "kinda" hold it onto there, but if its facing the fenderwall, and the weight of the box is on the filter, its not really going anywhere... i dont think it does much for performance, maybe 1-2 hp, but it sure sounds nice. haha and its free. also, if you dont mind spending the money on premium fuel, advance your timing to 15* if you have access to a timing light. sentra.net dyno'd a given 5 hp in the midrange and 2 or 3 in the top end gained.

Yah, vivid's right. I bet the poor-man's intake is about as good as a WAI anyways (if you use a K&N filter of course) I did that to my 200 and I love it. Only thing I suggest is when you remove the lower portion of the intake box, cut the lip off so you can use it to retain the air filter. Hacksaw the lip off, it will have the clips on it and you can clip the lip back on. The cut lip looks kind of like a licence plate frame with metal clips. Be carefull, I cracked mine in the process. I forgot the car you'll be doing this to, but you'll most likely need to loosten the intake piping a bit and shift the airbox in another direction so your intake will be facing the firewall instead of facing down, that way it will fit perfectly and be supported by the battery and car framework. much better than laying out $200 for a WAI. (IMO!)

Another bit of advice - buy used stuff. I got a WAI w/ filter for $60 from Danny Hedges, a Dragon filter with cleaning kit for $40 from 1CLNB14, wheels for $350, gauge cluster, sway bars, and SE-R brakes for $250 from SR20kidD (haven't been installed yet), and a bunch of other things. Used is 99% as good as new - it's not always quite as pretty, but for a guy on a budget, you can't beat it.

Damn Samo, you sure know how to shop bro!! We should add another link on the forum for deals we've found for our car's. Like today I found a complete bodykit by erubuni for $606. I wouldn't buy it, but someone might. They also offer the whole front airdam for $126, that's hard to beat! Here's the link just in case you guys want a closer look.

for the airdam
http://www.nopionline.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=dspboparts&vpcid=086&vtitle=Body Part - Air Dam

whole body kit
http://www.nopionline.com/index.cfm...le=1998 NISSAN 200SX Body Components Body Kit

jaggery, just save your money man, It's what a couple hundred more? one more paycheck? Sounds like the only thing you CAN'T afford is TWO sets of rims. Mine as well make the set that you buy KILLER!!! You know as well as I that performance is very expensive, so It takes time to accumulate nice parts. Take your time, don't impulse buy. and samo's idea was "right on the money" for us non-financially-bloated enthusiasts. JMO

Maybe it's just me, but the first thing I look at when I'm deciding between what size wheel I want is what tires are available. Not only is this a big cost consideration, but if you truely have any performance interest, this will be perhaps your biggest decision. The tires after all are the only part of the car that actually touch the ground, so any performance you hope to gain will be transmitted (or limited) by the tires you choose.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.