Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my fuel injector on my 90 b12 might be bad. During hot weather the car is sometimes jerky at high speeds and I have changed just about everything but that. Does anyone know how much a new injector would cost and how hard it would be to replace?

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
In the Haynes manual in doesn't look hard, but I have never tried. There are a bunch of tests that you can do to the injector to make sure it is working properly. Again those are in the Haynes manual.

·
Garage Sultan
1,173 Posts
Welcome to the club of jerky B12's!!

I ran some fuel injector cleaner through some time ago and it got better, but its getting prgressively worse.

Its when you let off the throttle then go back on again right? you get 2 little jerks right?

I think its just a fact of life. I just live with it.

Has anyone ever heard of Bosch DirectFuel Injection? I saw some adds recently and Im wondering if this will work on GA16i's.

-Nick

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey sentrastud, can you explain what you did to your intake and how much power you got out of the mod?

·
Garage Sultan
1,173 Posts
Well, its ghetto as hell but here it goes.

First find the black intake pipe that comes out of the blue airbox. Then I took off that black wierd shaped piece on the end of it (theres a pic of the piece on my pic site. Check the link in my signature). This piece is some sort of intake restrictor , so it hurts your power. The piece comes off by removing a plastic screw and then pulling really hard until the other metal piece pops out.

Then I detached the main tube from its mounting post behind the battery and bent the pipe untill it was directly behind the radiator about 8 inches back. You may have to cut the pipe a bit to do this. I kept the pipe in place here using its mounting pole and duct taping it to the battery tray. (This weekend im going to make it a bit more permanent and get rid of the duct tape.)

After that i took some carboard and made a kinda siphon thing that takes air from a wider aread and forces it into the pipe. This too is secured with duct tape. This weekend I am replacing the carboard with plastic and securing it with caulking or something like that.

Thats my ghetto intake. The power gains arent very large because the radiator can be kinda restrictive. If you do this, i recommend you clean your radiator with a pressure washer or something. be careful not to wreck it though.
The pedal feels a bit more responsive. based on the fact that my car tops out 8km/h higher than before Im guessing that this mod it is good for 5HP at 100mph. Its just a guess though.

Oh I also have a K&N circle filter that was supposed to go in an E16. The filters fit great because the top of the airbox squishes the filter down a bit making for a nice tight fit.

If your gonna do this mod, just make sure that your RAM AIr siphon thingy wont get in the way of the fan, even with excessive jolting and stuff.

-Nick

·
Registered
258 Posts
Any of you jerky drivers tried replacing the Oxygen snesor? Could be the culprit.
John

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have considered it. My car seems to only be jerky during really wet humid weather. i was told it could be arcing spark plug wires so I got those replaced. Is that a symptom of a bad o2 sensor? i don't have the resources to do it myself and it is fairly expensive to get both o2 sensors changed with labor and all that. There are 2 correct?

·
Registered
258 Posts
The oxygen sensor is the little cylindrical sensor that sticks out of the exhaust manifold. It only has one wire (GA16i) coming off of it, if memory serves me correctly it is a green wire if it is a Nissan part. These sensors can be had from an autoparts store for around $20 for the old one wire style. It is easily removed with pair of vice grips. Do not try and be cheap and just clean the sensor as this will definitely ruin it. If it only seems to happen in humid weather, you may want to try a new cap and rotor as well. These types of items are covered in a general tuneup. Fuel filter, air filter, timing check... All of these things can contribute to faulty running habits. Also, the car has some age on it. It would be a good idea to check all of your vacuum lines for cracks and leaks. Hope this helps!
John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts