Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
My Lil' Red Wagon
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, i havent posted in awhile, so i thought id come ask a question....im on my 2nd new clutch and pressure plate in my 87 4x4 pathfinder....the original clutch was toasted when pulled...when i put a new clutch in it worked fine for awhile, then i had to replace the slave cylinder...then it worked for awhile, then when i would sit idleing for 5 mins or so (like in the drivethru) the clutch would slip like the old burnt one....i drove it like that for 10,000 miles till the original motor i pieced together blew up....when i pulled the motor i inspected the clutch expecting it to be burnt, but it wasnt, it looked as good as new, no oil on it or anything, but i KNOW it slipped bad when it sat idleing awhile, i even put it in neutral and let the clutch out....

the clutch has a lifetime warranty, so i traded it for a new one when i bought my new nissan built longblock......i installed the new motor, got it all together and running, and sure enough the clutch STILL slips after the engine warms up....when it first starts up you CANT make it slip....but when it gets warm it always slips, makes it a pain to get on the highway...only thing that hasnt been changed is the clutch master cylinder, anyone think that could be it????

·
Registered
178 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
After you changed the slave cylinder, did you bleed the system? If there is air in the system, it may be expanding when it gets warm and partially engaging the clutch.

Also, it may be a bad slave cylinder. It may be not fully going back to normal and getting stuck out a portion.

If it’s not either of these, it is probably inside the clutch where something else is no good.

(also forgot to mention, it could be the master cylinder, doing close to same as the slave cylinder. Also is there any play in the clutch, does it change when you gives you the problem?)

·
My Lil' Red Wagon
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ill try bleeding it again, ive done it before but i wont hurt to bleed it some more...im with you though, i think im gonna have to change both cylinders and bleed it thoroughly.

nissanman, that sounds alot like my problem, ill dig further into that and give it a shot, thanks!!!

·
My Lil' Red Wagon
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i adjusted the pedal today, after reading that thread nissanman posted about i came to the conclusion it was EXACTLY what i was experiencing. the pedal wasnt letting the master cylinder release like it needs to, so the release valve can do its thing...the pedal feels tons better after some trial and error adjusting...now only time will tell if it stops the slipping....

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm glad I could help.

When mine was slipping I searched the forums and didnt find any mention of pedal adjustment being a cause. I guess its not a common one. But at least now there's info on the forums about it for others.

My clutch is still going strong!!! No more slipping so far!!!

Glad your back on the road!
Good luck and good day!

·
My Lil' Red Wagon
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
update...my clutch woes are gone!!!! a few thoundand miles later and my clutch hasnt slipped at all!!!! Ive TRIED AND TRIED to replicate all the situations that made it start slipping before, (sitting in the drive through for 20 minutes then trying to get on the highway) and it holds strong all day long!! ive been dealing with this the entire 4 years ive owned it, its on its 3rd clutch now, and all it took was 30 minutes adjusting the clutch pedal. props to ya nissanman, and like you said, im glad to help get the info out there....the link in your thread has tons of good info, so ill post it here too...

RRE's Clutch And Flywheel Tech Info

·
My Lil' Red Wagon
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Clutch is STILL working fantastic!!! I was thinking about it today driving around, oh so glad it doesnt slip anymore!!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Mine is too. She's still been going strong.

I havent been on here in awhile either. I still need to replace my ball joints. Sad to say that I'm thinking of selling my truck. My place of employment is moving to another location 40 miles further away and the truck burns way too much gas... I'd probably end up spending 100 bucks a week to drive that distance...and its just a 4 cyl. dunno the reason for the poor fuel mileage. I think it has to do with the 31x10.50 15in tires i have on it. the gears arent designed for tires that big so the gear ratio is off. I rarely ever use 5th gear because of it.
I'm trying to get a decent 4 cyl car to replace it. hopefully another nissan or maybe a toyota. maybe i can find someone willing to trade.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,279 Posts
Excellent find.
All hydralic clutch master cylinders and brake cylinders for that matter have a valve that allows fluid to equalise when your foot is off the pedal. This allows for expansion and contraction of the fluid with temprature.
What puzzles me is why this suddenly became a problem ??? Most cars go their whole life without this becoming a problem.
Did someone adjust the pedal height thinking they were doing something needed ????

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,279 Posts

·
My Lil' Red Wagon
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
apparently mine had this problem before i bought it in '05, the car lot owner told me the clutch slipped sometimes, even though it didnt during the test drive at all...i was amazed he honestly told me about it, which was the reason i bought it from him....only took me 3 clutches and 4 years to figure out why it slipped, lol.....im thinking about selling mine too, im about $7500 deep into this truck after buying a new long block, all new exhaust, new radiator, all new rubber hoses everywhere, new tires, new clutch, replacing the shocks, suspension bushings, all the steering arms, and much more....ill probably only get $3000 back if im lucky, thats the only reason i still have it, well, that and its a blast to drive offroad and in the record breaking snowfall we had here, some of the guys on this forum complain about pathfinders sucking in the snow, mine never got stuck unless i was playing in DEEP drifts...its all about how u drive it....i have been unsticking people in it all winter!!! they all are amazed at how well geared it is in low range, and ask me what size gears i put in, i tell em they are stock gears in stock axles...dont hurt that the stock gears are 4.34:1's or something like that!!!

:givebeer:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts