Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Last night I went and got me a black, very very.."Super Black" Se-R Spec-V...I think it has about 50 miles on it right now...I just want to know what I should do to make sure that it doesn't die on me or something like that...A couple of my friends told (who are mechanics) told me that every 500 miles intil 1500 I should get a oil change. Then I shouldn't step on it intil it has atleast 2000 miles on it...I'm sorta edgy cuz I wana take her out to the track, but I don't wana hurt her...What do you guys think? Is this info correct? anything else I'm forgetting??

Also, Warrenty...What can I do and what can't I do on my spec-v...? exhaust, cai, cat-back, bodykit, etc...is all that OK? and won't void anything?? thanks again.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Shevon said:
Hi, Last night I went and got me a black, very very.."Super Black" Se-R Spec-V...I think it has about 50 miles on it right now...I just want to know what I should do to make sure that it doesn't die on me or something like that...A couple of my friends told (who are mechanics) told me that every 500 miles intil 1500 I should get a oil change. Then I shouldn't step on it intil it has atleast 2000 miles on it...I'm sorta edgy cuz I wana take her out to the track, but I don't wana hurt her...What do you guys think? Is this info correct? anything else I'm forgetting??

Also, Warrenty...What can I do and what can't I do on my spec-v...? exhaust, cai, cat-back, bodykit, etc...is all that OK? and won't void anything?? thanks again.
the break in period is 1500miles and you should not exceed 4000rpm in any gear for that period. Also make sure to check your oil with every tank of gas. I would take it easy on the car until you get at least 4000miles on it.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shevon said:

i asked about moding my car and if it would still have warranty, and they sed, you can't touch anything or else it's off...but das a go ahead 4 me!!:D

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4000miles?!?! :eek: jesus! Thats wayyyyyy toooo long....I sometimes by accident hit it over 4krpm, but not really...the clutch is weird, but i'll get used to it...why 4000miles??? and why check oil every gastank?...sigh....a lot of people told me 500...w/e I'll stick to what you guys are saying...I don't wana give back my car just because I did not want to wait...

·
Registered
18 Posts
my two cents

Yes,

1500 miles is the general break in period for a car. If you do a search on this forum for 'break in', but will explain it better than I can. However, here is a brief explaination as I have been reading about his for a lil' over a year now.

Break in period is generally the time where the piston rings and most movable parts inside the engine will develop goves in the metal and properly seat themeselves. It is recommened ( depending on if the maf. already does a prebreak in of the engine ) that you generally vary your RPM in this period, and do not exceed a certain set rpm ( 4000 rpm in this case and to avoid overheating - quick thermal expansion - and to make sure that everything seats correctly). Mineral oil, not synthetic, is generally advised and filled on the first 1.5k miles in order to help with the break in and general wear of the engine (as it promotes wear)..

There is a really go thread in the B13 (i think) forum about oils and the different dynamics about Synth oil and Mineral oil. This might help to explain why one is used over the other in break in.

No matter what you choose, 1.5k is not that long when you are considering you can easily get 200k+ on your car if you break the engine in correctly. I would rather take a lil' time now than a lot later in piston ring replacement and cylinder over bore.

If you want to drive like a bat outta hell to being with, get a used car past 10k. Good luck, and I will see if i can find that oil link for you, if you are interested.

Gotta head with the wife. Will post more later if needed. Feel free to PM me, and maybe I can send you some links that are more factual based rather than the rantings of one individual.

·
Go Drift Alliance!
646 Posts
Shevon said:
I'll add more to this. The dealership can't void your warranty over an aftermarket product or part just because they said so. It has to lead to or be the cause of the failed part. For example, they can't say that your entire engine warranty is now void because of your aftermarket intake. They're going to have to prove it or in most cases, you'll have to prove it to them. It can go either way, especially depending on your dealership. My dealership does not have a problem helping me out with my car at all. I won't get them to do the modifications themselves, but they still help me out, for example, resetting my SES light without question or giving me shit about it. Most of your warranty work should consist of a bad horn, sunroof switch is not working, seats fraying, stuff like that. If you happen to be part of the "oil consumption crew", then there's more to it. Other than that, you're golden. Mod away and just becareful of all the sensors for your intake and exhaust. Messing those up and going back to the dealership won't work. ;)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea...I sorta figured that part out as much...as for breakin it in, I've been driving a lot lately, school, work, and other stuff, but I still shift at about 2500 rpms, just to make sure...I want this car to last as long as possible, cuz after that 4000 mile period, you better bet that I'm gana mod the living hell outa it and run 1/4 every damn weekend. I love to race, streetrace or Drag, I love it, and I got this car cuz it's fast, and cool lookin...so I can't wait (=< thanks for the info...btw, if somone can give me info on oil changes...I know I have to change at 500 miles, but what about 1000? then 1500? everyone tells me every 500 miles intil 1500, then at 3000....what ya'll think? thanks

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Warranty Denial

I agree with Mr. Sentra, no dealer can void your warranty just because there are aftermarket parts on your car. But YOU don't have to prove that it didn't cause the failure, THEY have to prove that it did cause it. Unless they can prove it, the only thing they are not responsible for is coverage for the actual aftermarket/modified part. If any dealer tries to pull that, quickly let 'em know that it is a violation of federal law. And if they still don't cooperate, contact SEMA, your lawyer and the local news station....:D

Good Luck,
Steve

·
No Nissan Yet
139 Posts
for break in, go by your owners manual. do whatever it says. but i agree with most on changing your oil at 1500 and then again at 3000.

as for warranty, if you modify anything the factory has put on or it is not an approved part by Nissan, then warranty is void. just because some of you go to a dealership and they are cool of what you have done to your car and they help you out, then they arent doing their job correctly from Nissan standards. But there is that line of B/S of adding an intake and something happens to your motor and they wont warranty it. we all know it is B/S for the most part on some modifications, but if you go in with a reworked ECU and we all know that it raises the redline and disables the governor, then don't expect them to warranty anything engine mechanical if they known you have done that. also, dont go in with a turbo attached to your engine if it was never an option for your car(American market). you will get laughed at when you try to warranty something, unless you know somewhere there.

as a technician, i seen many people do alot of minor tweaking with their cars(not just Nissan) like disconnect sensors, rewiring, put MAF in backwards, stuff like that. these are on semi-new vehicles too! they come in and say "the dealer wont fix it". huh, i wonder why?:confused:

·
Registered
674 Posts
SRV1 said:
for break in, go by your owners manual. do whatever it says. but i agree with most on changing your oil at 1500 and then again at 3000.

as for warranty, if you modify anything the factory has put on or it is not an approved part by Nissan, then warranty is void. just because some of you go to a dealership and they are cool of what you have done to your car and they help you out, then they arent doing their job correctly from Nissan standards. But there is that line of B/S of adding an intake and something happens to your motor and they wont warranty it. we all know it is B/S for the most part on some modifications, but if you go in with a reworked ECU and we all know that it raises the redline and disables the governor, then don't expect them to warranty anything engine mechanical if they known you have done that. also, dont go in with a turbo attached to your engine if it was never an option for your car(American market). you will get laughed at when you try to warranty something, unless you know somewhere there.

as a technician, i seen many people do alot of minor tweaking with their cars(not just Nissan) like disconnect sensors, rewiring, put MAF in backwards, stuff like that. these are on semi-new vehicles too! they come in and say "the dealer wont fix it". huh, i wonder why?:confused:
I disagree with you. Your telling me that if a guy puts an aftermarket intake and exhaust on his car that it will void the warranty. That is bullshit. If the dealer doesn't cover it under warranty they are just being assholes and I would go to another dealer or get Nissan on the phone. I talked to our Nissan warranty rep. and he told me that they would have to prove the part caused the failure and if you have an aftermarket part, say on the engine, and the trans. takes a shit, the trans. is still covered under warranty. It is a separate drivetrain component. If you had an aftermarket clutch, than you could find problems on getting the trans. covered.
I think that when techs see a car come in and it has aftermarket parts on it, they just want an excuse to do the repairs for "customer pay" time instead of having to do it under warranty time.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hmmmmmmmm.....k........as for the breakin in the engine deal...I should wait intil 4000miles? or intil like a thousand or something? I need info...as for now I got 300 miles even and I am shifting calmly at 2500rpm, is that all I gata do? I'll change at 500 and then again every 500 intil 3000 miles...tell what ya'll think.

·
Go Drift Alliance!
646 Posts
Shevon said:
hmmmmmmmm.....k........as for the breakin in the engine deal...I should wait intil 4000miles? or intil like a thousand or something? I need info...as for now I got 300 miles even and I am shifting calmly at 2500rpm, is that all I gata do? I'll change at 500 and then again every 500 intil 3000 miles...tell what ya'll think.

We just talked about it. ;) 1500 miles of break in period at no more than 4000 RPMS. That should do you really great! I wouldn't change engine oil till around 3000 miles, IMO.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll change at 500 just to make sure, cuz people tell me this, people tell me that...I dunno I"ll change at 500 then 1500 then 3000 after that...Since I drive sorta hard, I change my oil every 2500 (=

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hahaha...one of my friends told me the same thing...hahaha

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hehhe...I guess..but since that nismo spec-v stuff comes out in march-april 03 that cash flow is gana be saved up...so I can buy new chit (=.....body kit, spoiler, cai, cat-back, straightpipe(testpipe, if we have one) and other phat lookin stuff...BTW, just wondering, is there a turbo kit for spec-v? or is there gana be one? thanks.

·
Banned
395 Posts
u can change the oil on your car whenever u want, but u dont want to do that...:D ......i would change it at 500 miles then at 1500 too. I thought they were working on a turbo kit for the spec v except that the spec kept blowing every single one of them out. something about it couldnt really handle it. but i'm sure they'll find something and make a strong turbo for specs

·
West Coast Redneck
1,127 Posts
I know Trav4011 on b15sentra.net is (I think) working on a custom turbo setup for the QR motor.

Also, on another note, Area 51 has a supercharger in the works for the Spec V. The prototype is on the Street Concepts Spec-V. It looks pretty sweet. See it here: http://www.nissanforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1003

-Sam

1 - 20 of 29 Posts