Nissan Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks! I've already posted in the "New Member" area for my introduction so now I'm gonna ask a few questions. :-D

Tomorrow or Wednesday I'm gonna be picking up a 1990 Sentra 2dr coupe. it's a 5spd and, after reading up on the boards earlier today, I THINK it's got the GA16i motor (i.e. E12(?) ). It's only got 130K miles and actually looks in MINT condition. It's got a few little rust spots, but nothing MAJOR. It's white in color and the engine bay is FILTHY! IT LOOKS to be carbed, but I can't tell.

My questions are basically: what should I be on the look-out for? The engine sounds to idle fine and I took it for a test drive and I was impressed. I know it's only got 90hp and 96ft-lbs. of torque, but the 5spd feels pretty peppy. I didn't see ANY fluid leaks and it seems to wamr up nicely (takes a little while though). The clutch grabs right @ the top so I like that (just like my Avenger. :-D )

I know it's gonna be a "beater", but what're some ways to get a little more performance out of the car? From my researching, she SHOULD get about 28city/36hwy, unlike my Avenger which, cuz of the turbo and my heavy foot, only gets about 20, if that.

I'll try and snap some pics once I take it home and clean her up a bit. She's got the little 13" rims w/ 175/70/13 tires so I'll probably be upgrading those very shortly to something a bit wider and lower profile (obviously bigger rims).

Again, I look forward to participating on your boards and will probably need some help in the beginning as I'm not too familiar with this drivetrain! Thanks in advnace!

P.S. - If anyone has some pictures of their '90 Sentras, I'd like to see the engine bay shots! Thanks again!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yup, you'll have the GA16i in there.
My suggestion would be to replace the timing chain components in it right away before the chain skips on you.
If that happens you'll be out a couple exhaust valves (all 4!)
You have what is called "throttle body injection", basically it's one fuel injector instead of a carb, and before the multi-port fuel injection (injector at each intake runner).
I also upgraded my wheels and tires to a 14" set. 185/60/14 BFG Traction TA's and Motegi MR12 wheels. I really like the way they handle in the rain, good traction in the snow too.
Todd

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
yea i second the timing chain business they have a tendensy to shatter oen way or the other and its just no fun to fix, and u think those p175/70/13s are bad try useing the suggested size of the p155/80r/13s they squal if take a turn more than 5 miles an hour, i put my stock 91 se-r rims on they handle awsome even with some junky firestones. As for mods... there isnt really anything engine wise.. jsut do the usual maintenence like fuel filters probeblyt he origional lol check the power on the coil and wires maybe get yourself some awsome irradium plugs that are hell expensive. one thing i suggest if u dont have one is a front sway bar , my 89 didnt come with one but my 88 did and that was a HUGE difference in stability and stearing

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys! I'm a little familiar w/ TBI as my beater before this was an 88 Civic DX Hatch w/ TBI (although it had 2 injectors in the TB). According to the seller, the TC was replaced @ 80K miles, and it's got 130K now....so maybe another 30 or 40K and I'll change it again. This motor looks HELLA easy to work on so I can't complain! Sounds like there's an exhaust leak by the muffler so I'll need to patch that up before I take her through emissions testing. It was dark so I couldn't see if it had a front sway bar or not. It's a pretty bare-bones car. No sunroof, no power ANYTHING, but it DOES have A/C, AND IT WORKS! (GASP)

·
B12 Enthusiast
844 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your Purchase.

Here's the top 5 common problems between my 2 cars when I got them:

1) Bad Outer CV joints
2) Clutch Cable
3) Front main oil seal
4) Door hinge pins and bushings
5) Water in trunk

:cheers:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1) there's not clicking or groaning that I could tell so far
2) The clutch grabs right at the top and it's a light pedal
3) no oil leaks and it doesn't burn oil
4) doors open and close just fine w/ no noise
5) the trunk appears to be bone dry

All in all it's a solid car and it's been WELL taken care off! I'll probably change the fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, oil, flush the cooling system and call it a day.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, after driving the car and taking a closer look, it turns out there's a few little issues I didn't notice before. :-(

1) The exhaust appears to be almost falling off (hangs REALLY low) and it's got a little leak somewhere that I have to find tomorrow.
2) Brakes are shot. Gotta be replaced (should be cake)
3) the wiper blades need to be replaced (again, cake)
4) it'sa 4spd, not a 5spd :-(

Other than those things mentioned, it's a fairly solid car! Overall I'm pretty happy, just wish it were a 5spd for the highway driving. :-(

·
B12 Enthusiast
844 Posts
If that is all it needs, your in good shape. brake parts are cheap and abundant. exhaust isn't a big deal, nor expensive if you plan on putting the stock stuff back on there.

I have never driven a Sentra with a 4 speed as both of mine were 5 speeds, but personally I think the 5 speed is geared kinda low. On the upside, the car will still pull good even at highway speeds and still gets well over 30 MPG.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Boostedvenge said:
Well, after driving the car and taking a closer look, it turns out there's a few little issues I didn't notice before. :-(

1) The exhaust appears to be almost falling off (hangs REALLY low) and it's got a little leak somewhere that I have to find tomorrow.
2) Brakes are shot. Gotta be replaced (should be cake)
3) the wiper blades need to be replaced (again, cake)
4) it'sa 4spd, not a 5spd :-(

Other than those things mentioned, it's a fairly solid car! Overall I'm pretty happy, just wish it were a 5spd for the highway driving. :-(
Upgrades????
Go to the pick and pull and see if they have an SE Pulsar you can mug. Gnab the swaybars/bushings (or get a set of bushings from Astreamk1) and the AD18 brakes. While you're there, look around for a sport coup or a GXE and gnab the mirrors and o-sh!t handles. If they have a coup, get the seats too or I can sell a pair. All direct bolt in. No mods needed. Cept you need at least 14" wheels for the brakes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm just getting stock replacement parts....for now. Eventually, like I've been saying, I'm gonna do a MAJOR swap, but right now, she's just to get me around town to/from work.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have a 1990 Nissan Sentra XE now with a Nissan 1.6 litre, 16-valve DOHC GA16DE turbo-charged engine from a '95 200SX. The rest of the car is B12 specifically, including the 5-speed manual transmission. When my GA16I made its home under the hood, the clutch continued to go in and out, even after I changed the clutch plate, pressure plate, and all the proper bearings. My friend's '89 Sentra has had the same problem. Because my GA16DE has a performance flywheel on it, perhaps it is the factory flywheel? Has anyone else had this problem, or is it just us?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Boostedvenge said:
I'm just getting stock replacement parts....for now. Eventually, like I've been saying, I'm gonna do a MAJOR swap, but right now, she's just to get me around town to/from work.
All those parts can be aquired for less than $100.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everybody, Does anybody know where can I get Owners manual of Nissan sentra Coupe 1991?
I prefer online version (maybe pdf)
Thanks in advance

1 - 13 of 13 Posts