Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a '95 Pathfinder as a weekend adventure vehicle. Mechanically and cosmetically it is in very good condition with only 187,000 original miles. No rust or dents, and the original paint is still very shiny and without any flaws (oxidization, deep scratches, rust, etc). Everything works in the cabin, all switches, lights, cruise control...everything. I purchased it in broad daylight so I didn't have a way to see if the instrument cluster lights were working when I turned the headlights on. Long story short, when I went to drive it home in the dark that night, I noticed that there were no lights on the instrument cluster. The turn signal indicators on the cluster worked just fine, but everything else was completely dark (Speedometer, tachometer, fuel gauge, temp, etc). So here's my question; Is it possible that all of the gauge lights are burned out, or could it possibly be a burned out fuse, or do I need to replace the entire cluster? Thank you in advance for any assistance!

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,772 Posts
Long story short, when I went to drive it home in the dark that night, I noticed that there were no lights on the instrument cluster. The turn signal indicators on the cluster worked just fine, but everything else was completely dark (Speedometer, tachometer, fuel gauge, temp, etc). So here's my question; Is it possible that all of the gauge lights are burned out, or could it possibly be a burned out fuse, or do I need to replace the entire cluster? Thank you in advance for any assistance!
The instrument cluster lighting adjustment dial may be turned all the way down; check your owner's manual.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm not convinced it's just a matter of the brightness setting... You say they're completely dark, right?

It could be a bulb out, but whoever sold you the vehicle should have known/mentioned something like that.

I had a completely dead cluster and needed to have it replaced. Your gauges are still functioning correctly, just not illuminating huh? That's good.

If you have any questions- the shop I worked with was unbelievably helpful and knowledgeable and I would highly recommend them to anyone for any answers.

Nissan Instrument Clusters - Replacement Cluster Panels, Dash Panels, Gauge Clusters, Speedometers for Nissan

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
9,767 Posts
I doubt that it's a cluster issue, as this is not an integrated meter assembly type cluster, meaning it can be taken apart to replace components of it, etc. There are a lot of small bulbs on the back of the cluster, so the chances are slim, although not impossible, that all of the bulbs have burnt out, although I wouldn't be surprised if some of them were. There is a fuse for the illumination which "may" be shared with the rear parking lights. I would not be surprised if either the dimmer switch is either adjusted all the way down OR defective. I used to replace a fair number of illumination dimmer switches in 90s era Nissans.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts