Nissan Forum banner
61 - 64 of 64 Posts

· Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Finally got a system..

So I was agonizing over what system to put in, and finally settled on something. I kept the stock reciever, and went and got a 20gb iPod with an RF trans. Saved probably a hundred bucks and holy crap it rules. I just need to put in all speakers and I'm good to go.

· Registered
37 Posts
Rephlex said:
Runs perfectly (knock on wood), no weird noises, no clicking. Just had the timing adjusted, guy didn't mention anything odd. Starts rough when it's cold out, but that's it.
Just to play Devils Advocate and this is definetly not the nissan engine I'm most familiar with my 240 has CA18DET and my Pulsar has CA16DE. If you don't really need the timing chain guide(s) then why did they put one on it in the first place. Just something to think about.

· KA24DET
1,145 Posts
Pulsar-NX-SE said:
Just to play Devils Advocate and this is definetly not the nissan engine I'm most familiar with my 240 has CA18DET and my Pulsar has CA16DE. If you don't really need the timing chain guide(s) then why did they put one on it in the first place. Just something to think about.
So that if the timing chain snapped, it wouldn't destroy the block. The guides are meant to maintain the chain in the event of serious trauma. This is completely superfluous though, and they cause more damage by falling into the chain than they avert. Nissan itself instructs service mechanics to remove the timing chain guides.

· Registered
37 Posts
bridrive55 said:
So that if the timing chain snapped, it wouldn't destroy the block. The guides are meant to maintain the chain in the event of serious trauma. This is completely superfluous though, and they cause more damage by falling into the chain than they avert. Nissan itself instructs service mechanics to remove the timing chain guides.
Cool thanks for the info. I truly wasn't sure. I thought that they were intended to maintain chain alignment to make sure it didn't skew and jump.
I've work on Domestic Engines for about 25 years but Imports are new for me.
Until a month ago I had never owned a Nissan of any type and now I own 2
( A 87 Pulsar and 89 240sx ). Both my engines have timing belts CA16DE and CA18DET but at the rate I'm going it's probably only a matter of days before I own a Nissan with an engine that has a timing chain instead of belt (HA HA My Wife will probably shoot me if I buy any more cars). But seriously thanks for the info and not making me feel like an Idot for asking!

61 - 64 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.