Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I am a proud owner of a new 2004 Nissan Frontier. This is my first Nissan. I had a Ford Ranger for years and it was just time to retire it.

How reliable are the Frontier's (any year)? From what I've seen so far, it is a good little truck.

Brian

·
Registered
359 Posts
brianwolters said:
Hello!

I am a proud owner of a new 2004 Nissan Frontier. This is my first Nissan. I had a Ford Ranger for years and it was just time to retire it.

How reliable are the Frontier's (any year)? From what I've seen so far, it is a good little truck.

Brian

Do you have the 4 or 6 banger? It should be a very reliable truck either way.

·
Registered
195 Posts
It's a reliable as hell truck, I've racked up the miles towing, off roadin, muddin ... you can't kill a fronty!

XE-V6 auto

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is a 4 banger...and got 22 MPG at my first fill up. The tank is much smaller than I am used to, so I'll be filling up more often but that's OK..it is fun to drive and I am all about reliable.

Brian

·
Registered
79 Posts
frontiers

Yeah, but youve got an sc and probably ragging out in it, LOL. Mine is an '02 cc lb xe v6 auto - get an average 17-18 mpg under normal driving. My trade-in was a '93 4 banger kc auto - averaged 19-20 mpg. Not really a lot of difference, but I really like my '02. Put in a K&N filter. Really improved the performance, but didn't affect the mieage at all; but that's all right, it did what they claimed it would do.

:cheers:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My 2nd fill up...got 23 MPG!! Woo! Still less than my "retired" Ford Ranger but a much newer car too!

Hope to keep reporting good news on my Frontier.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Adam said:
Damn guys, I'm getting 14.5mpg or thereabouts in the city. Even with the larger capacity tank this still takes me the same distance as my Mustang, except with more, higher cost (octane) gas.
You REALLY do not need anything other than mid grade for normal work and road. The ECU will compensate and you will loose, maybe 5HP or .5psi due to retard.
I have the NA 3.3 and I was getting 17.0 -17.9 around town until I threw on the Dueler REVO's, Front grill and guard and removed the bug/wind guard.
( it went from 17 to 17.5 and even 17.8 with the guard ). Yet the NISSAN smoked guard was in the way, so it sits new in the Garage until I get rid of it.
Now, back to the fuels> I now get 16 - 16.7 around town and no difference using 87 for city driving and junk hauling.

BrianWolters
Welcome from the Mazda Ford family to NISSAN!? Where it is for NISSAN only. OH and supply major parts to everyother MFG out there.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
brianwolters said:
My 2nd fill up...got 23 MPG!! Woo! Still less than my "retired" Ford Ranger but a much newer car too!

Hope to keep reporting good news on my Frontier.
Well, I don't want to make you feel bad or anything, but I've not gotten less than 25.5 MPG (no more than 26.5). Maybe my tonneau cover will add some to that, but I'm not betting on it.

Oh, I drive like an old lady (no offense intended to old ladies); shift no higher than 3K RPM.

[edit]Hey, if that's an auto, that's pretty darn good.[edit]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jerryp58 said:
Well, I don't want to make you feel bad or anything, but I've not gotten less than 25.5 MPG (no more than 26.5). Maybe my tonneau cover will add some to that, but I'm not betting on it.

Oh, I drive like an old lady (no offense intended to old ladies); shift no higher than 3K RPM.

[edit]Hey, if that's an auto, that's pretty darn good.[edit]
No problem..my first three fill ups have been:

22 MPG, 23 MPG, and today it was 24 MPG..:)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have an 04 Frontier and I love it, and yes gas milage kinda sucks, especially for mine being a supercharged version.

·
Registered
195 Posts
but personally the extra little you have to pay in gas is easlially offset by the lack of repairs the truck will need since it's such a reliable motor etc

·
Registered
33 Posts
After six months with my '04 XE-V6 Crew Cab, short-bed, 5-speed, I would have to say that I love it as well. The fuel economy, discussed ad infinitum here, really is a bit disappointing, but I can live with it. My primary daily commuting vehicle is a motorcycle ('89 Honda Pacific Coast), which gets almost three time the mileage per gallon of expensive gasoline. But for trips to Home Depot, camping trips and on really bad weather days, the Frontier takes center stage. Dependable, sporty and utilitarian to the max.

Dave.

·
Registered
11 Posts
n5xbs said:
After six months with my '04 XE-V6 Crew Cab, short-bed, 5-speed, I would have to say that I love it as well. The fuel economy, discussed ad infinitum here, really is a bit disappointing, but I can live with it. My primary daily commuting vehicle is a motorcycle ('89 Honda Pacific Coast), which gets almost three time the mileage per gallon of expensive gasoline. But for trips to Home Depot, camping trips and on really bad weather days, the Frontier takes center stage. Dependable, sporty and utilitarian to the max.

Dave.

Got a '05 Frontier XE last week.. pretty bare bones, w/ 4 banger and auto, 2WD drivetrain. But got lots of guts and nice ride for a truck.. auto transmission a little notchy during upshifts, but otherwise pretty solid and smooth hp delivery. Hoping this will last me a long time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
trkdoggmann said:
Got a '05 Frontier XE last week.. pretty bare bones, w/ 4 banger and auto, 2WD drivetrain. But got lots of guts and nice ride for a truck.. auto transmission a little notchy during upshifts, but otherwise pretty solid and smooth hp delivery. Hoping this will last me a long time.
Yeah, but that notchy stuff will go away..I had the issues with my new 04 the first week..I am well into my 2nd week and it has gone away.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts