Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got a '92 NX2000 with a little over 60,000 miles on it. The look of the car was the primary reason I wanted it. Now, I've been working on Honda's for about seven years now with my friends and I know nothing about performance mods for a Nissan. I already gave the car a complete tune-up. The car was in excellent shape when I got it, so it only needed the norm (oil, plugs, brake fluid, etc.). I would like to put in an air intake, headers, and cat back exhaust for starters. Does anybody have any suggestions of what type, brand, size, or where to buy them? Any other suggestions for a first time Nissan owner is appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully answer it, too. Thanks. Jay

·
Registered
38 Posts
For the intake I have a Place Racing Cold Air with a JWT pop charger. You can get the intake from place racing. The Pop Charger is a filter with a funnel type thing that helps a lot. You can get it from Jim Wolf Technologies. AS for the header get the newest generation Hot Shot. You can get it from both Hot Shot and JWT. As far as I know there aren't any(good) catbacks made for the car. I have an arospeed universal with no cat or resonator on mine. Its loud as hell though.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Make sure that your going to keep your car NA. As you know if you go Turbo more than half that stuff is garbage. It's the reason why car is still Bone stock. Good luck.

Z

·
0 Posts
Yeah, what everybody else said. :D But here's my recommendations. This is just my opinion.

Cold air intake: Place Racing or AEM or Hotshot. I think the Hotshot and Place Racing ones are the best.

Header: Hotshot.

Cams or an ECU will make more power than an exhaust system, so you may want to consider those as well. I suggest JWT cams and the JWT ECU to go with them.

if you do get cams in addition to the other stuff, then definitely do something about the rest of your exhaust system. A lot of people have had good results with a 2.5" system.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks For The Advice!!!

Thanks to those who gave advice. My friend Shawn has a '91 Sentra and he was saying Jim Wolf Tech. is one of the best with Nissan. Is that true? And what about Stillen? Any good? Also, hows the HP gains with aftermarket underdrive pulleys and adjustable cam gears on my NX2K? Again, thanks for all your help. Jay

·
Registered
38 Posts
yeah jwt is by far the best for the cars. I saw a thread somewhere and a guy said he switched from the Stillen header to the Hot shot and gained like 10hp. hard to believe but either way he got a better header. There is a thread about the pulleys going right now you should read that. If you get the ecu with the program for the aftermarket cams, you won't get much with adj cam gears, but they work good with stock cams.

·
HYDYST?
113 Posts
Cam gears will usually just move the power curve around. No real gains on a NA engine. Hold off on those.

The pulleys work, I would add those to your list.

I agree with Zak's advice for the rest.

When you did the tune up, did you use Nissan parts?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
About Tune-Up

Yea, I used these parts (brake fluid, manual fluid , plugs, timing belt, air filter, and antifreeze) from the dealer because the car was always serviced by a Nissan dealer. I didn't want to change any of these until I found out better brands. Any recommendations? The oil filter was mobil 1 and the oil was mobil 1 trisynthetic. I use mobil 1 in my Honda's. Is there any thing else in the engine department that will give me a decent amount (2hp or more) of horsepower gain. I'm not putting a turbo in this car. I want to keep it NA. The engine and exhaust systems are the first things my money's going into. After that I'm doing the suspension over. Any suggestions, again? I just want to get "all my ducks in order" before I start any one thing. Also, what's JWT getting for their cams. Their website says you have to call for everything. Thanks again to all those who have left me some sound advice. I appreciate it. Jay

Z

·
0 Posts
In addition to the aforementioned header, CAI, cams, ECU, underdrive pullies and a good exhaust system, you could add a lightweight flywheel... it should free up a few HP. There's not too much else to do NA though, because believe it or not a lot of the SE-R's stock components work fine up to maybe 180 wheel HP. Throttle body, MAF, injectors, plugs, wires, valvetrain, internals (pistons rods etc) intake manifold... all that stuff is fine until you go forced induction, then you'll need to change some of it.

The SE-R's stock throttle body is the size Mustang owners UPGRADE to. You will *never* need to touch it for any reason. The MAF is good to 250 HP. the stock internals can handle 400+ HP. This is why turbo systems are so popular with SE-Rs... the motors can easily take the abuse. NA, you won't even push most of the stock components at all.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I shall add my .02cents as well. I would do this...get your breathers, IE- intake, header, exhaust, and then get your cams AND ecu at the same time AFTER purchasing the aforementioned breather mods. The reason you do this is because you

A. Will have the "mass air" program in the ecu for your CAI.
B. Will have the cam program for your ecu.
C. Won't have to spend months sending and recieving your ecu every time you mod something.

My friend was telling me also that you should send your MAF to JWT since your car will be down anyway w/ out its ECU. They will bore it out for you and allow more air flow. While this does not provide over 1hp gain, it will allow for quicker throttle response. Its only around $40 too, so WHY NOT!!!? :p

Also, if you have ANY questions, head on over to www.se-r.net for every single bit of the most obscure of facts. It will be there..sometimes more information than you can read. I have often found myself dazing at the screen after just reading for 20 minutes or so on that website. Very beneficial though.

I hope this helps.

Ju§tin

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Again!!!

Thanks again for everybody's help. I really appreciate it! Jay

·
Registered
135 Posts
Very true Alleyboy. I bought my greddy almost a month ago for 300 and have been very pleased. I gained quite a bit of upper end power with my SP exhaust. I would recommend it to anyone.

Ju§tin

·
Registered
38 Posts
That is a good recomendation for the cat-back, but I am pretty sure that it won't fit the NX. The cat backs made for the classics have to be modified to fit them.

·
Dan the car meet man
404 Posts
For the most performance gain for the buck, I'd recommend a DPR Stage VI head first. Read up on the build at SE-R.net. "The engine made 164.1 [email protected] 6300 rpm and 151.8 ft/lb of [email protected] 4500 rpm at the wheels on DRR's Dynojet chassis dyno. This equates to almost 190 crank hp." Ask [email protected] to make it for the most amount of HP/TQ NA'd for the street (to pass emissions). You can send him your intake manifold for porting at the same time as the head.

Stage VI $1200 W/ Manifold
Stage VI $1500 Full welding and combustion chamber modifications (raise compression by .5)
Stage VI $2300 - added valves and coating etc

Then after you do the head/intake manifold, get the bolt-ons. You can make a custom cat-back exhaust with mandrel bends from www.summitracing.com www.jegs.com and www.jcwhitney.com You'll need two 90 degree bends and two long-radius 45 degree bends. (@ jegs you can get U-bends for $15) Get a thrush 22" glasspack @ summitracing $16 as a resonator. Then get a dynomax ultra-flow muffler $59. Total cost for parts: $110 + shipping Once you get all the parts, go to a muffler shop and have them TIG weld 'em together and put it on your car... they'll charge between $40-120 for labor. Another thing that will help you out is a random technology high flow cat $180 (bolt-on). So total cost for the cat & back exhaust about $400. Go to my website to hear a similar setup on my 1.6 sentra.

S

·
0 Posts
jayrok said:
I just got a '92 NX2000 with a little over 60,000 miles on it. The look of the car was the primary reason I wanted it. Now, I've been working on Honda's for about seven years now with my friends and I know nothing about performance mods for a Nissan. I already gave the car a complete tune-up. The car was in excellent shape when I got it, so it only needed the norm (oil, plugs, brake fluid, etc.). I would like to put in an air intake, headers, and cat back exhaust for starters. Does anybody have any suggestions of what type, brand, size, or where to buy them? Any other suggestions for a first time Nissan owner is appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully answer it, too. Thanks. Jay
check the MAF ground, TPS adjustment, O2 sensor connection, base ignition timing...i set my timing at 21 degrees and use 92 octane gas.

S

·
0 Posts
dho said:
For the most performance gain for the buck, I'd recommend a DPR Stage VI head first. Read up on the build at SE-R.net. "The engine made 164.1 [email protected] 6300 rpm and 151.8 ft/lb of [email protected] 4500 rpm at the wheels on DRR's Dynojet chassis dyno. This equates to almost 190 crank hp." Ask [email protected] to make it for the most amount of HP/TQ NA'd for the street (to pass emissions). You can send him your intake manifold for porting at the same time as the head.

Stage VI $1200 W/ Manifold
Stage VI $1500 Full welding and combustion chamber modifications (raise compression by .5)
Stage VI $2300 - added valves and coating etc

Then after you do the head/intake manifold, get the bolt-ons. You can make a custom cat-back exhaust with mandrel bends from www.summitracing.com www.jegs.com and www.jcwhitney.com You'll need two 90 degree bends and two long-radius 45 degree bends. (@ jegs you can get U-bends for $15) Get a thrush 22" glasspack @ summitracing $16 as a resonator. Then get a dynomax ultra-flow muffler $59. Total cost for parts: $110 + shipping Once you get all the parts, go to a muffler shop and have them TIG weld 'em together and put it on your car... they'll charge between $40-120 for labor. Another thing that will help you out is a random technology high flow cat $180 (bolt-on). So total cost for the cat & back exhaust about $400. Go to my website to hear a similar setup on my 1.6 sentra.
Your not gonna gain 50 HP with only a port and polish, that test was done with a shit load of other aftermarket products. I think Mike Kojima said he gained somewhere in the range of 10 HP with the ported head.

i also have a NX2K and what i did was advnace the timing, adjust the TPS a little past 4 volts at WOT, increase the spark plug gap, rotate the MAF and a few other things and my quickest time was 15.4 at 90 MPH. Thats with no aftermarket mods.

my opinion on aftermarket mods, i would recommend you getting basic mods to get your engine breathing easier. a custom cold air intake and exhaust using the same method as "DHO". If you have your own welder, even better. Then a Pacesetter, Hotshot, or AEBS header. Then cams would be nice. If you want streetable cams you would want cams with duration in the range of 260-270 degrees, anything higher, you will have a lopey idle. If you have a good mechanical apptitude, there are a few things you can do which wont cost very much. You can do your own porting job with a carbide and sand paper catridge roll. The idea is to smooth the ports rather than enlarging it. Smoothing the valve seat to the throat area will increase flow significantly also. after you do your port and polish, a machine shop charges approx $200-250 to do a 3 angle valve job. You may also have the cylinder head milled approx .030 inches which will give you a 10-1 compression ratio, however you will need cam sprockets to properly adjust the cam timing back.

·
Dan the car meet man
404 Posts
I'm not really sure what the exact HP gains would be if you made the head for all out performance. shoe, you probably know a million times more than I do but all the information that I know, I've read/heard/watched from other people & sources. Nissan had a 300bhp SR20! You could probably make an all out GA16 to do 200bhp! DPR's heads are not just port & polished, there' not just 3 angle valve jobs, their full racing heads. They offer 5 angle valve jobs and everything else. They could port the head massively for the most amount of HP/TQ, do lightened valves, valvesprings, retainers, they can modify the head for the cams you purchase, they can raise the compression, they can modify the combustion chamber with the clover-leaf-pent design used in Corvette's, they can coat parts of the head, they can do a lot of stuff to it, just depends on what you're wanting to do. I bet he could raise the compression to 11:1 or more in the head. From what I've read, the head design makes up 90% of the total motor horsepower. If the head isn't made right you could have a lot less power than you began with.

Check some of the archives at DPR's website to see some of their work and dyno's. Here's a link to their Services.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts