Nissan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, im new here and been looking at a 2004 Sentra SE-R Spec-V. I like the 2002-03 style better but i heard that there are alot of motor problems for those 2 years and i found a 2004 Black SE-R Spec-V with 83000 miles for $5000 or best offer, so i kinda want to jump on that.

Now before i go for the test drive, what should i be looking out for?
Is the 04's a good year for the spec-v's?

Any information that you think might be helpful for me would be great.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,282 Posts
Search here and find your answers, there isnt much traffic.
I dont have a 2.5L, only the 2.0 and 3.5 L
The 2.5 has pre-cat failures that causes Oil consumption issues.

So watch out, IF it has this problem the solution seems to be a new / replacement / re-built engine.

Also you have the ever present throttle / swirl valve / power valve butterfly screw problem that is on the 3.5 L and 2.5 L

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply, but if the car has 83000 miles on it, and it still has the stock exhaust manifold with the pre-cat, should i stay away from it?

How would i know whether or not he did the recall maintence? Do i just need to drive the car and feel it for myself?

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
I honestly dont know, if the price is right you can risk it and replace the engine I guess.
Who is selling it ?
Why is it so inexpensive ?
the 2002's around here go for 5-6,000
Can you get it inspected by Nissan Dealer, they maybe can do a leakdown test and tell you if its OK? Its worth a call.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Maybe buy a warranty ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I test drove it today and it feels perfectly smooth, the guy who own the car never gotten any recall or anything so he never replaced or locktited his butterfly screws or replace his exhaust manifold. The Spec-V has 86000 miles, he is the first owner and i told him i will take it for $5000, and we are going to go to the bank on monday and trade.

The car is very nice, i checked all electrical stuff and everything seem to work great, engine sounds good, runs smooth, etc..

Oh the owner just moved to the mainland and his dad is selling the car for him and that's why it is kinda cheap.

The car is Black, the paint job is still very nice, head lights and tail lights are still looking great, some scratches on the car and the interior isn't that clean, but it is not too bad, just got some not really noticeciable stains.

Overall i love the car and im picking it up on monday, SO STOCKED!!!

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Well sounds like you got a bargain.
Let us know how it turns out when you have 1000 miles on it to check the Oil consumption.
Maybe change out the Pre-Cat before it fails.
I am going to do the butterflies on my Pathy when it gets nearer to plug change time since that's lots of work anyway.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will do will do, i already bought a DC 4-2-1 Header with a complete Greddy SP2 Cat-Back Exhaust system, gonna put it on friday!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts