Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I am looking to have new shocks by the end of the weekend.

I have plenty of 'shock and muffler' places near to my house. That would probably mean Midas or Munroe.

What is the best shock for this truck, and what is the easiest way to install them?

Thanks, veesix

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey, just back from ACE hardware, that place is 'jumping', believe me, this economy is pulling through.

I picked up some JB Weld, trying to plug a hole in my cat. left by the EGR tube that rusted away.

Any ideas out there about the Shocks??????

veesix

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I replaced minewith Monroe's... they were like $20ea and it took me maybe an hour to change them out (always has to be one bolt that gives you problems..)

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks SPEEDO, I won't do the work myself, not this time anyway. Around here I have Midas, Munroe, Sears, the Nissan dealer, and a couple of private shops.

Forget about the dealership, they always treat me like 'your truck it too dirty, and your money has germs."

I got the JB Weld into that open EGR port, on the cat. It was a bit like pushing honey uphill. But, I got the epoxy in there and plugged it in with a dowel.

Any more ideas about shocks?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That J-B Weld is not a fast curing. The epoxy in the mix pot still feels tacky, even after about 6 hours.

It should be ok by Sunday.

I am pulling the trigger on those shocks soon. It would be great to have some input from the forum members.

Thanks, veesix

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey,

Just got back from the 'Brake-Tire-Muffler' place. They are asking $455 for new shocks!

I could not believe it. Maybe I will do it myself if the option is getting robbed.

By the way, here is some high temp epoxy I picked up at Auto Zone. It claims to be good to 2000 F plus. It is for the hole in the catalytic converter.

·
Fearsome Fabricator
213 Posts
1. You would be better off cutting the bolts off that flange, inserting a new gasket and new bolts. You can "epoxy" it, but I assure you it will not last.

2. Monroe shocks are about as cheap as you can get, and will ride a little soft. KYB would be better if you can afford it. Everything else just gets more and more expensive.

3. Have a hack saw or a cutting torch handy. It is likely that you will have to cut the stud off the top of the front shocks - they rust solid nasty

4. As long as nothing breaks, changing shocks is easy.

Good luck.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks, I will check that out. I have the Sears Automotive page open now, in another tab.

They have some names I have not seen before. Edelbrock for one, and KYB. Where did KYB come from?

What shock will work best with this 88 king cab? thats what I want to know.

·
Registered
791 Posts
If you can wait a while, Sears has the their Monroe gas shocks on sale for half price ever so often. I got all 4 for $50 and put them on myself. The last time I saw them on sale I think they were around $16.50 each which is still a good price for major brand gas shocks. They're not offroad or autocross shocks but pretty good for the average 2x4 truck driver.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, how many moons, is many moons?:)

Thanks for the advice Oldnissanguy. I just spoke to the guy at AutoZone. He said they just had a 'buy 3, get 1 free' deal on shocks. I will be looking out for a good price.

Thanks, Skinny G. Those bolts, just fell off. Actually, 1 bolt dropped out after a few light hammer taps; I got a socket onto the 2nd bolt, it broke free after a very slight turn.

Here is the pic. AutoZone will order a new gasket for me, it could take a day.

·
Registered
30 Posts
before you fic the exhaust could you possibly get a video with sound , i wanna know what the v6 sounds like without a muffler

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Loved those 70's; I miss Disco, and no, it does not suck.

I should be getting the new gasket today. But, the bolts are not included.

I'll pull the truck into the garage this morning, and start chipping away at the old gasket. Autozone sells a flange repair kit. That might come in handy.

Here is a picture of those old bolts. They are sitting on top of a Tiffany crystal wine glass, it was a wedding gift. I thought it would make for an interesting image. Don't tell my wife though.:eek:

Anyone know what type of bolts these are?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well, if you have not guessed it by now, this thread turned into a 'shock thread' plus 'exhaust leak' thread. Sorry about that guys.

Here is an image of my best guess at the correct gasket. The bolt holes are 3-1/4" from the centers. As it turns out, this is to big. It is almost impossible to find the right gasket. I may stop by the dealership, for my annual dose of "sticker shock."

And, here is a look at the finished job. I will have to re-due this fix, no doubt about it. I turned the snot out of those bolts, but could not get that joint to come together. Any one have any ideas?

·
Registered
153 Posts
HI-Get the thickest bolts, that will fit thru everything, in at least a grade 5(they don't have to be metric), and try doubling up the gasket. I've had to double them before, and their still holding. Try tightening each side a little at a time, until it's tight.
Good Luck

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thanks, I did buy 2 gaskets just in case (of something). And those are grade 8 bolts.

The store sells a 'Flange Repair Kit.' It's a metal bracket that fits around the pipe, just behind the flange weld. One bracket on each side, then draw the pipes together. The Kit comes with bolts.

Maybe this will be a triple gasket job?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts